This is an easy and tasty salsa chicken salad recipe that I threw together today. The best part is that the slow cooker does most of the work. And, you just can’t beat slow-cooked meat … shredded, flavorful and oh-so tender. Eaten over a bed of spinach (or other greens) with an assortment of fresh toppings, it makes a fabulous, healthy meal!
On another note, I’ve been taking advantage of all the glorious time I have to test more recipes as potential sellers at the food cart (Cultured Caveman). For those who don’t know, I got laid off on Friday, but not to worry — I am happy and relieved! I was struggling big time at that office, and it’s truly a blessing in disguise! Anyway, I’ve been writing down different dried fruit and nut combinations, and tested another one out yesterday. This one consisted of dried figs, coconut oil, cinnamon, macadamia nuts, walnuts, dried unsweetened cherries and unsweetened coconut flakes. Very similar to the most recent date kind I made, minus the dates and blueberries. Super delicious!
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Salad
- 3-4 organic boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 16 oz container fresh salsa
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- Chopped fresh spinach or other greens/lettuce of choice
- Avocado slices
- Olives, chopped
- Tomato, chopped
- Green onion, chopped
- Cilantro, chopped
- Other veggies of choice
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker and sprinkle sea salt and pepper on top. Then, pour in the salsa.
- Cover, set slow cooker to low and let cook for 6-8 hours.
- Once chicken is done, scoop on top of a bed of fresh spinach or other greens/lettuce.
- Top with desired amount of olives, tomato, green onion, avocado and cilantro.
*Note: I didn’t specify the amount on the toppings, as you can adjust to your liking.