Recently, I made Robb Wolf’s sloppy Joe recipe from his book, , but because I made it with ground turkey breast instead of ground beef, the meal becomes a Jane rather than a Joe. Apparently, turkey is female?
Anyway, in addition to the protein switch, I made a few other changes to the sloppy janes as well. No cocoa powder, ( it’s an ‘illegal’ food on the SCD, which I currently have to comply to), added mustard and garlic powder, upped the tomato sauce, etc. To see the full recipe with my modifications, check it out below.
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1.5 cups tomato puree (I like Bionaturae’s strained tomatoes)
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp yellow mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1-2 tsp raw honey
- Cook ground turkey and onion in a large skillet over medium heat for 10-15 minutes, or until the meat is browned.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and heat for another 10-15 minutes. Serve with vegetable(s) of choice.
Note: the first time around, we ate these open face on top of portobello caps that I browned in the skillet. The second night, we ate the mixture on top of my homemade biscuits with avocado garnish. Both were delicious!