Simple Supper Friday: Sirloin Vegetable Soup
I admit, this soup isn’t out of this world amazing or anything, but it is darn good, quick and easy (ultimately the point of ‘Simple Supper Friday’). Additionally, you can add any vegetables you like. It’s kind of a free-for-all, so have fun and play with it to your liking. I personally think bell peppers would be awesome in this soup, but I don’t tolerate bell peppers well at all, so avoid them whenever possible. They make me bloated and hurt my stomach. Funny, because I’m fine with all other nightshades … it’s just those pesky bell peppers!
- 32 oz bone broth or beef stock
- 12 oz grass-fed top sirloin (I used a combo of eye of round and top sirloin)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce (make sure there’s no sugar in it!)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, butter or ghee
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small zucchini, chopped
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1-1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups fresh or frozen kale
- Thinly slice the meat on a diagonal. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of the sea salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, stir together the broth/stock, tomato sauce and thyme. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, warm the oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef slices and cook, turning once, for a couple minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the onion, garlic, zucchini and remaining 1/4 tsp sea salt. Toss to mix well and add 2 Tbsp of the water. Lower the heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender. If the pan gets dry, add the remaining tablespoon of water.
- Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring often, for a couple minutes. Then add the fresh or frozen kale and stir for 2-3 more minutes or until softened.
- Add the beef and any juices, and the vegetables to the broth mixture. Warm through, but don’t boil.
- Serve with almond flour biscuits.