Cinnamon Roll Squash Muffins

Do you recall the heavenly aroma of Cinnabon that lingers throughout the shopping mall? I rarely go to the mall because it’s kinda dreadful and claustrophobic for me, but the smell of Cinnabon is not forgotten. Honestly, it smelled like Cinnabon in my house yesterday  when I made these muffins. Luckily, I made and consumed something a million times better than one of those puppies sold in the mall. Yes, it is still a treat (a fall-inspired one in this case), but it’s better than the alternative and homemade too! To be honest, I’ve never actually had anything from Cinnabon in my life — well, maybe a cookie (a very long time ago), but never any cinnamon rolls.

The cinnamon roll topping brings these muffins to life. I’m sure they’d taste wonderful on their own, but cinnamon topping and pecans? Yes, please! Not to toot my own horn here, but these muffins are straight-up wonderful (okay, maybe I’m tooting my own horn a little). The addition of the butternut squash puree makes them incredibly moist. The raw batter tastes good too! I love to clean off the spatula, just like I did when I was a kid.

Cinnamon roll topping:

• 2 Tbsp melted butter, ghee or coconut oil (I used coconut oil)
  • 2 Tbsp raw honey
  • 1 Tbsp cinnamon

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl.
  2. Set aside.

Muffin ingredients:

• 1/2 cup butternut squash puree (fresh or canned – I used this brand)
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour (find here)
  • 3 eggs, preferably pasture-raised
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 cup melted grass-fed butter, ghee or coconut oil
  • 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract (I like this brand)
  • 1/4 cup raw honey
  • 1/4 – 1/3 cup raw pecans for topping, optional

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients together — except pecans–in the food processor and process until a smooth, fluffy batter forms. Alternatively, you can mix all the dry ingredients together, whisk the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl, and then whisk the wet ingredients into the dry.
  2. Grease muffin cups or line with parchment paper liners. Fill each with approximately 1/4 cup of batter.
  3. Spoon cinnamon mixture over each muffin and top with pecans, if using.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean.

Yields: 9 muffins

IMG_2016

61 thoughts on “Cinnamon Roll Squash Muffins

1. Cinnamoneats October 25, 2012 / 6:07 am

Ummm getting a notification of this post in my email this morning was not the best thing…. now all I can think about are these muffins! I’ve never had cinnabon before but anything with cinnamon and I’m there ;)

Few questions, do you think you could sub pumpkin puree for the butternut squash puree and also what about using almond flour in place of coconut flour? Only because I have these on hand now so I was just wondering….

• paleoinpdx October 25, 2012 / 8:40 am

I’ve never had cinnabon either, but am a huge cinnamon fan as well! Yes, you could definitely sub pumpkin puree in place of the squash and yes on the almond flour as well. You’d need to use more almond flour though. Coconut flour is dense, so you use less. You may have to experiment with it but you’ll probably need 1 to 1-1/2 cups of almond flour.

• Cinnamoneats October 25, 2012 / 8:47 am

Hey I’m actually in the process of making them now! I couldn’t wait haha. I’m going by your recipe just in case I use almond flour and it doesn’t turn out!

• paleoinpdx October 25, 2012 / 8:50 am

Nice, I love your ambition! I hope you enjoy the muffins :)

• Cinnamoneats October 25, 2012 / 8:51 am

Thanks hahah I couldn’t resist! Just sent you another reply. What temp are these to be cooked at?

• Cinnamoneats October 25, 2012 / 9:35 am

Oops I’m so silly I see now that you say 350! I totally just read over that part!

• paleoinpdx October 25, 2012 / 9:36 am

That’s because I just added it in! I totally spaced on mentioning it, so thank you for pointing it out!

• Cinnamoneats October 25, 2012 / 9:40 am

Lol that’s so funny! I thought I’d gone a bit mad haha!

Not a problem :)

• Cinnamoneats October 25, 2012 / 8:50 am

What temperature oven?

2. Lemons 'n Lyme October 25, 2012 / 7:38 am

Ahhh, can’t wait to make these- just what I’ve been craving :)

• paleoinpdx October 25, 2012 / 8:40 am

Lemons ‘n Lyme, these are unbelievable! I can’t wait for you to try them. They literally knocked my socks off!

• Lemons 'n Lyme October 26, 2012 / 8:38 pm

Just made these! Very delicioussss, once I tasted the batter I didn’t think they were going to make them into the oven. One thing… my batter was really dry so when I cooked them the center didn’t get completely cooked (that didn’t stop the devouring though :) ). Didn’t know if your was that way or not?

• paleoinpdx October 26, 2012 / 9:10 pm

Huh, that’s strange. No, I didn’t have that problem. Mine were super moist and cooked all the way through and my batter was moist and fluffy. I’m not sure what happened with your batter, but I’m glad they still tasted good! If you make them again and the batter turns out dry, you can maybe try adding a little extra squash puree or a touch of water for moistness.

• Lemons 'n Lyme October 27, 2012 / 11:29 am

Yeah, I was thinking about doing that (figured I should) but I didn’t want to alter the recipe any since yours came out so perfectly. Well, I’m definitely making these again so I’ll see what happens!

3. paleoinpdx October 25, 2012 / 8:51 am

Oh wow, I forgot to put that in there! 350 degrees F. I will correct that on the post. My bad!

4. Cinnamoneats October 25, 2012 / 12:08 pm

For anyone who is thinking about making these muffins STOP thinking and just do it! These are some of the best tasting muffins I’ve ever eaten…. next time I’m making double the batch! Thanks Alisa…. now I’m sitting here having my afternoon coffee with a delicious muffin ;)

• paleoinpdx October 25, 2012 / 2:35 pm

Sounds perfect! I’m so glad you like them and thanks for testing them out so quickly!

5. Megan October 25, 2012 / 12:49 pm

I’m not a baker by any means but your blog is making me want to cave and get all these paleo friendly flours!! the only thing that is stopping me is the price tag : ) IDEA – how about you male me some treatS?!? its halloween you know…

• Megan October 25, 2012 / 12:49 pm

and by male I mean mail : P

• paleoinpdx October 25, 2012 / 2:34 pm

Haha, we might be able to work out a deal, Megan ;) You know you can make your own coconut or almond flour at home, right? It’s really easy. The great thing about coconut flour is that a little goes a long way (b/c it’s dense), so it lasts a long time (at least it does for me).

6. Traci October 26, 2012 / 9:01 am

You are right, even the raw batter tastes fantastic. I liked the bowl clean!

• paleoinpdx October 26, 2012 / 9:42 am

Haha, glad I’m not the only one ;)

7. Cinnamoneats October 26, 2012 / 9:14 am

Alisa these muffins are even better cold out of the fridge the next day ;)

• paleoinpdx October 26, 2012 / 9:41 am

Oh, that’s good to know! I’ll have to try it that way. I usually nuke mine in the microwave for several seconds. Next time I’ll try it cold ;) Thanks for letting me know!

• Cinnamoneats October 26, 2012 / 10:14 am

I usually do too but tried it this way and it was good :)

8. Erin Hightower October 26, 2012 / 5:39 pm

I’ve made these twice in 24 hours
    (not what you think I have a potluck tomorrow)
    ONE WARNING:
    I’m allergic to coconut and had to use almond flour. If some reason you use almond flour double the amount of flour use… they were runny and not thick like your picture until I added more.

otherwise… fantastic. My none paleo husband LOVED these

• paleoinpdx October 26, 2012 / 5:49 pm

Yes, coconut and almond flour are very different. Coconut flour is extremely dense, so you always use less. With almond flour, you’d need at least 1 cup, if not a bit more for this recipe. I’m glad you figured it out though and that they tasted delicious with almond flour! Awesome that you’ve already made them twice too! Thanks for sharing your modifications!

• paleoinpdx October 28, 2012 / 8:11 am

That’s a pretty accurate description!

9. Jill November 1, 2012 / 4:13 pm

These look SO good. I don’t have honey though…hmm…I eat so much sugar in fruit (I’m not paleo by the way…but ought to be), but I always thought honey = sugar added = unnecessary. Maybe I’m limiting myself.

I so love your recipes but am so limited because I live in a place where nothing is antibiotic free or grass fed. It’s all just the regular ole stuff. Boo :(

• paleoinpdx November 1, 2012 / 4:18 pm

Honey is the only sweetener I use (and can use). I always try and opt for very small amounts, even if something calls for more and especially if there’s fruit in it. I’m so glad you like my recipes, but sorry to hear you don’t have access to much. That’s how it is when I visit my family back in Michigan (I’m from a really small town). Where are you from, Jill? I know it’s not the most convenient thing, but there are lots of great resources for getting things (i.e. grass-fed meats) online. It can be pricey, but it’s nice if you go in on an order with someone.

• Jill November 2, 2012 / 4:18 pm

I live in rural Canada. Not much here. I’ve heard of online stuff, but that would break my bank :) So expensive to eat well…I know people says its not, but it really is.
        Like low-carb folks say its not expensive, but their buying the “crap”” meats, etc…in order to buy stuff without all the junk in it, its expensive. Even eggs…for me to buy organic eggs it would be 6.99, the “antibiotic free” ones are 4.49 and the regular ole ones range from 2-3 bucks…I go with the middle one, but thats sstill STEEP…jeesh.

• paleoinpdx November 3, 2012 / 10:26 am

I see. Yes, rural areas make it very challenging, but you gotta do the best that you can with what you’ve got, without going broke! I agree that it is more expensive, but my partner and I prioritize and make room for it in our budget, though it’s not always easy. We watch for sales, especially on grass-fed meats and do the best we can. The pastured eggs we buy are a bit spendy too ($5.99/dozen), but they taste and look so much better than just the free range, certified humane eggs.

• paleoinpdx December 1, 2012 / 5:52 pm

Hey Elissa, thanks! The muffins are super good, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. Thanks for sharing the link to your breakfast post! It looks delicious — almost like dessert!

10. Nikki December 5, 2012 / 1:07 pm

Hi paleoinpdx, Thanks for following my blog! This recipe looks so good and I love the consistency of the cake, it looks a little spongey and not crumbly (like how some coconut-based recipes can turn out). I will definitely try this one out! Hope you enjoyed my new soup recipe today and let me know if you have any foods you would like to learn more about scientifically. :)

• paleoinpdx December 5, 2012 / 2:20 pm

Likewise! Nope, these aren’t crumbly at all, but I totally know what you’re talking about. I’ve definitely had good and bad experiences with coconut flour. This was a good one ;)

11. Alisa December 19, 2012 / 1:51 pm

These were also a hit! Super tasty. I ended up doing half pure maple syrup and half honey for the “sweetner.”

Even hubby said the flavors were great. Though he put jam on top and extra butter and maple syrup BUT he did eat them =)

• paleoinpdx December 20, 2012 / 11:25 am

Awesome, I’m happy to hear it! I love these muffins too. I’m glad your hubby liked them too, even if he did sweeten them up a bit more ;)

12. Stephanie February 3, 2013 / 7:16 pm

Hi. Found this recipe via a friend. I don’t follow a paleo diet and was wondering if I could sub white whole wheat for the coconut flour? I saw you said coconut flour was dense, but ive never worked with it so not sure how dense it is compared to wheat flours. Can’t use the other flours bc of allergies in the family. Thanks. They look delish!

• paleoinpdx February 3, 2013 / 7:19 pm

You can, but it’s not an equal substitution. You’ll end up using more wheat flour because it’s much less dense than the coconut (coconut is VERY dense). I don’t know exactly how much to tell you to use, but it’ll probably be at least double that of the coconut. I take it you have coconut/tree nut allergies in your family?

13. Stephanie February 3, 2013 / 7:26 pm

Thanks for the quick response! I’ll experiment with the amount-thanks. Yup…I’m allergy free but not some of my boys.

• paleoinpdx February 3, 2013 / 7:31 pm

No problem! Good luck with the recipe. I hope it works out for you! It might take some experimentation and a couple tries to get it right.

14. Stevie February 13, 2013 / 4:12 pm

Just made these with a lot of improv and they came out amazing….so I would like to declare them foolproof! I food-processed coconut meat flakes to make my own flour but it was courser that what you probably had so I increased the amount until I liked the consistency of the batter……I ran out of honey during (I was also baking some honey-chipotle chicken for the week), so i made the topping with agave…..and I used canned pumpkin since I always have some in the house……made 11 muffins, and they are just right!

• paleoinpdx February 13, 2013 / 4:20 pm

I didn’t even know my muffins were foolproof, but I’m happy to hear it ;) I’m glad everything worked out for you and it sounds like you had fun making them! It makes me happy when people try and like my recipes, so thank you!

15. rena March 3, 2013 / 8:40 am

Chaperoned a field trip this weekend and needed something to snack on during the ride, made these and everyone LOVED them!!

• paleoinpdx March 3, 2013 / 11:05 am

What a great snack idea! I’m glad they were a hit :)

• Annie January 8, 2015 / 5:45 pm

I baked a double batch of these muffins this morning using roasted golden hubbard squash.
      I improvised quite a bit, using maple syrup to stretch my limited supply of honey, folded in cranberries, and even added some coconut milk-chia seed pudding I had in the fridge! (More nutrients! yay!)
      For the topping, I didn’t have pecans, so I chopped brazil nuts and mixed them right in with the butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple & honey mixture for a sweet, crunchy topping.
      They came out melt-in-your-mouth perfect after 25 minutes in the oven.
      I agree, this recipe is foolproof!
      You can double it, and/or add just about anything to suit your taste, and it comes out moist & delicious.
      Imagine the possibilities…
      Next time, I will add grated orange rind! Love!

• paleoinpdx January 9, 2015 / 11:38 am

I’m glad you had fun with the recipe and found a way to make it work with what you had on hand. You added your own personal touches, which I love! It’s fun to get creative. Sometimes, improvisation works out in our favor :) Thanks for sharing, Annie.

16. Paleo rules May 31, 2013 / 10:50 pm

I REALLY I extremely love Paleo… I have been on it for 4 months & have noticed such great positive
    changes…. I strongly recommend this to ANYBODY! I started the diet off by watching this youtube vid for great recipes!
    !! here

17. Susan January 23, 2014 / 5:40 pm

What brand of coconut flour are you using? Have you used any flours other than coconut or almond?
    Thanks in advance

• paleoinpdx January 24, 2014 / 8:42 am

Hi Susan,

I use the Coconut Secret brand of coconut flour. No, I only use coconut or almond flour when baking, but have also used almond butter or sunflower seed butter (which essentially acts as flour). As you know, I don’t eat grains, so never use grain/gluten flours and things like tapioca flour/starch and arrowroot flour don’t work for me even though they are paleo-friendly. It’s too much starch for my system and I need to be careful with stuff like that.

18. Ellie October 28, 2014 / 8:44 am

Hi, I just make this muffin and turns out soos good. Actually i have doubled everything but I mixed coconut flour and almond flour for double recipe. I love it. thanks for sharing :) Ellie

• paleoinpdx October 28, 2014 / 3:21 pm

Thanks for letting me know, Ellie! I’m so glad you like the recipe :)