Weekend Highlights and a Stellar Opportunity

(Photo credit: musetracks.wordpress.com)
(Photo credit: musetracks.wordpress.com)

Happy Monday, everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend. Mine was busy, but good busy. Saturday, I had an all day DVRT certification at my gym, which went from 9:30am – 6pm. We learned different assessments, progressions, techniques, cues and much more. It was a ton of information, and both mentally and physically fatiguing, but very valuable in more ways than one. Afterward, Jesse and I were really worn out, so decided to go out to eat. Then, we went home and relaxed for a bit before going to bed. I slept like a baby and it felt amazing to finally get a good night’s sleep. I hadn’t slept well in three nights because of my cold.

Sunday, I woke up refreshed and feeling better. My head felt less stuffy and heavy, and my cough was much better too. I drove to Recreate in the frozen fog (which made me a little disoriented) to help coach class, and then afterward, spent the rest of the day running errands, doing laundry (was way behind because our dryer broke, but our new dryer was delivered on Sunday), making 24-hour yogurt, making pork shoulder in the slow cooker (recipe to come!), getting all my ingredients in order for my treats at Cultured Caveman, and working on my taxes (what can I say, I got a head start).

Today, I have no school, in honor of MLK Day, but have enough to keep me busy. I’m replenishing my treats at the food cart bright and early this morning, meeting my friend, Laura, later in the morning for breakfast and conversation, doing homework, cleaning, cooking and either going to yoga in the evening or taking a rest day. That’s still to be determined.

In other, more exciting news, I have an awesome opportunity starting this week. On Friday, I took a leap and reached out to someone in the health/paleo/fitness world that I respect a lot about a potential mentor-ship opportunity. This person is Jason Seib, who owns Clackamas Physical Conditioning (about 25-30 minutes from me) and runs Everyday Paleo Lifestyle and Fitness with Sarah Fragoso. He also has a book coming out on March 5 called, The Paleo Coach, which I anticipate being fantastic. You may recall, that I attended one of his seminars this past September in Grants Pass, Oregon. I did a couple recap posts about it, which you can read here and here. I was also fortunate to interview Jason this past fall as an industry leader for one of my assignments in school.

Anyway, Jason surprisingly emailed me back within an hour of receiving my message, and asked if I could stop by his gym that very afternoon to chat about what he could offer me. Long story short, I’m going to be hanging out at his gym at least once a week to work with and learn from him! I get to join in on initial assessments, nutrition coaching, training, etc. This experience is going to be beyond valuable and I can’t wait to start soaking things up. To start, he is going to assess and train me (cool, right?). Additionally, we have a project in mind, but I need to hold off on talking about that for now. Oh, and I even got to meet the infamous, Deb while I was there. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, check out the following posts from Jason:

I’m so excited and proud of myself for reaching out to Jason. This is something I’ve been thinking about doing for a while now, but for some reason, was a little nervous about doing so and held back. I think part of it is because I respect him so much and feel slightly intimidated, but I knew that I couldn’t let a potential opportunity pass me by. Seriously, his gym is 25 minutes from me…how could I not take advantage of such proximity?

Do you create opportunities in your life? What is something that you’re excited about right now?

About these ads

17 thoughts on “Weekend Highlights and a Stellar Opportunity

1. Healthy A-Z January 21, 2013 / 6:38 am

That IS a great opportunity. Congratulations!!

2. Cinnamoneats January 21, 2013 / 6:39 am

Alisaaaaaaaa!!! Oh wow I am SUPER excited for you (and jealous hahaha) That is an EXCELLENT opportunity for you! I can’t wait to read about how it all goes :) I’ve only recently tuned into the Everyday Paleo podcasts etc and I can’t wait until his new book comes out! Hopefully I’ll be able to order it overseas since we’ll be moved by then!

Anyway glad to read you’re feeling better :)

Again very happy and excited for you… good on you for reaching out :)

• paleoinpdx January 21, 2013 / 11:35 am

I know, Naz, I knoW!!! I’m glad you’ve starting tuning into their podcasts. I listen every week! So, you are indeed moving? I must have missed that post, so I’ll go back and catch up. Sometimes, I get a little behind on my blog reading because of school. Thanks for all your kind words!

• Cinnamoneats January 21, 2013 / 12:07 pm

I know I have been listening for a couple of weeks now catching up on all the previous episodes. I haven’t done a post yet about moving so that’s why you haven’t seen it but I will soon! Not long to go now at all! And no problems like I said I look forward to seeing what’s in store for you :)

3. Nikki January 21, 2013 / 6:47 am

Glad to hear you took a chance on something you were nervous to do…when those things work out it always feels so good!!!

• paleoinpdx January 21, 2013 / 11:33 am

I’m so glad too. It’s so important for us to break out of our comfort zones. Imagine if I just let something like this pass me by…

4. Holly, NTA Student (@PDXHollyM) January 21, 2013 / 9:01 am

Hooray, congrats! Jason is awesome! What school & program are you doing again? I am currently in nutritional therapy but am considering adding on personal training component in the future and would love to hear about good programs! I wish you the best!

• paleoinpdx January 21, 2013 / 11:32 am

Thanks, Holly! I am SO stoked! I’m doing the fitness technology program with the healthy older adult fitness add-on at PCC Sylvania. I’m completing the one year certificate instead of the 2-year Associate’s of Science since I already have a BA. This is my second term in the program, well third if you count the 1-credit class I took in the summer. I’ll be done at the end of this summer.

5. paleoinpdx January 21, 2013 / 12:16 pm

@Naz Oh, okay, so I didn’t miss anything! I imagine you’re pretty excited, hey? Another big move across the the ocean!

• Cinnamoneats January 22, 2013 / 9:05 am

Hey yes excited…. nervous and starting to stress out! Will blog about it all soon! :)

6. Megan January 21, 2013 / 6:08 pm

You rock! Way to be a go getter! I am pretty excited to be a follower so I can learn through you everything great you get out of this!

• paleoinpdx January 21, 2013 / 9:14 pm

Thanks, Megan! Being a go getter is how things happen, and I’ve learned this A LOT in the past year. I used to wait for things to happen or think opportunities would just come to me. Sure, that happens very occasionally, but it can’t be relied on. We’ll all gain something from my experience, for sure ;)

7. Jill January 25, 2013 / 3:41 pm

I’m so happy for you.
    I wonder what this guy would say about my situation…hmm…oh well . I’m an odd duck with issues as you know :)
    Congrats again.

• paleoinpdx January 25, 2013 / 4:00 pm

He has dealt with people like you before, Jill — many times. He has much to say and offer, but ultimately, it’s up to you to follow through and make the changes!

• paleoinpdx January 25, 2013 / 4:01 pm

Oh, and thanks by the way :) I’m so excited!