Simple Supper Friday: Figgy Bacon Burgers

Figgy bacon burgers.

Sweet, salty, simple. That was my mantra when creating these burgers. Lucky for me, they came out exactly that way. I originally thought about mixing Dijon directly into the burger mixture, but feared it not working out, so used it for garnish instead. I highly recommend serving these with the Dijon, as it complements the entire flavor profile of the burger. Jesse ate macadamia nut mayo on his instead and said it tasted delicious. I didn’t try it, but imagine it’s pretty tasty as well.

In other news, tomorrow is my 28th birthday! Hooray, I love birthdays! I have a lovely day planned for tomorrow, which I’ll recap about on Monday. I’m not sure if I’m going to make myself a cake or not. I’m thinking I might just go for homemade birthday ice cream. It’s less work, and cheaper too. As for the flavor, I’m not exactly sure, but I have a couple new ones in mind.

Another great thing, I only have two weeks of regular classes left (and then finals, of course)! The end is in sight, although there’s still a lot of work to do. I’m not worried about it though because I know I’ll get there. Then, I get to fly home for a wedding shower. Nothing like a little girly time, right? I’m really looking forward to it.

Happy weekend all!

• 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
  • 4 pieces good quality pork or beef bacon, chopped
  • 2 large dried Turkish figs, finely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • Pepper to taste
  • Romaine lettuce leaves or spinach, for serving
  • Dijon mustard for serving, optional, but recommended

1. Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped bacon and cook about 5-7 minutes, or until done. Set pan aside to cool.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix together the beef, sea salt, pepper and fig pieces. Add the bacon pieces in, once cool enough (reserve bacon grease in the pan for cooking the burgers). Mix well and form into four equal-sized patties.
  3. Reheat pan over medium heat. Once hot enough, add the patties and cook about 4 minutes each side (for medium), or until desired done-ness. Alternatively, you can also cook the patties on the grill.
  4. Serve with romaine leaves or spinach and Dijon mustard, if using.

Yields: 4 servings

25 thoughts on “Simple Supper Friday: Figgy Bacon Burgers

1. Craving4More March 1, 2013 / 9:29 am

Mmm, mmm good! I’ve used dates in my lamb burgers before with incredible success. I love the idea of figs for a change, though. I had fresh figs for the first time in Greece and fell in love with them. I so look forward to the short fresh fig season that we experience here.

• paleoinpdx March 1, 2013 / 9:34 am

Fresh figs in Greece? Wow, what an experience!

2. Cinnamoneats March 1, 2013 / 9:33 am

This looks delicious! I’m definitely going to make this… just have to find some figs! Happy Birthday for tomorrow although I will wish you well then too :) and also have fun! Can’t wait to see the cake you choose!

• paleoinpdx March 1, 2013 / 9:35 am

Thank you! Like I mentioned, I’m probably not going to do a cake…just homemade ice cream. I give myself the option to change my mind though :)

• Cinnamoneats March 1, 2013 / 9:36 am

Oops I read that as ice cream cake…. lol!

3. Leah March 1, 2013 / 11:14 am

Finely chopped figs in my burger?? Yes, please! I would have never thought of something like that – I can’t wait to try it. :)

• paleoinpdx March 1, 2013 / 11:50 am

Thanks :) It’s a nice way to make a plain burger special.

4. Mary Catherine March 2, 2013 / 5:49 am

This looks amazing! I’m going to try these this weekend!

• paleoinpdx March 2, 2013 / 11:06 am

Thanks, MC! I hope you like ’em ;)

5. carlysulli November 24, 2013 / 8:16 pm

I just made these for dinner and they were incredible! Loved the sweet and salty combo! My boyfriend devoured them. I’ll definitely be putting this in the regular rotation :)

• paleoinpdx November 24, 2013 / 8:39 pm

Thanks, Carly! I’m so glad you and your man enjoyed them. I need to make these again soon…it’s been a while!

6. pdxhollym July 6, 2015 / 9:50 am

Oh my gosh, this sounds amazing! We grill burgers almost daily for at least one meal a day. I think my family will appreciate some variety!

• paleoinpdx July 6, 2015 / 10:30 am

Thanks, Holly! I hope you all enjoy the burgers :)