Dishes like this fennel and sausage bowl are my favorite when I need a quick and easy meal. There’s so much room for experimentation and it’s simple to put together based on what’s on hand. It’s versatile and makes for a delicious breakfast, lunch or dinner.
I actually made this bowl for lunch yesterday, and sat outside on my patio in the warm sunshine, while I savored each bite. It was in the 60s, which was lovely to come back to after the 30 degree temperatures in Michigan (thankfully, there was lots of sun there though). Lucky for us, the warm weather is supposed to continue and supposedly, it’s going to be in the 70s this weekend. Happy Easter to us, right?!
Fennel and Sausage Bowl
- 1 chicken apple Applegate sausage, sliced
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp grass-fed butter
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 pasture-raised egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp low-sodium chicken broth
- 4-5 lacinato kale leaves, stemmed and torn into pieces
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground fennel
- Dash of paprika
- Heat coconut oil and butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced sausage and turn heat down to medium. Allow sausage to sizzle and brown in the melted fat for a few minutes.
- Next, add the chopped fennel and chicken broth, and continue to cook for a minute. Then, add the beaten egg and pepper. If need be, add a little more fat (butter or coconut oil) to the pan. Stir and allow to cook for a minute.
- Add the kale, red pepper flakes, ground fennel and paprika. Stir and allow to cook until kale is softened, about 1-minute or so. Add more pepper if needed.
Yields: 1 serving