Simple Supper Friday: Chorizo Sauce with Mashed Cauliflower
Happy Friday, everyone! For whatever reason, I feel a bit lost for words today, so won’t be saying too much. It’s just one of those days. I am definitely glad it’s the weekend though and am looking forward to having brunch with my dear friend, Laura, after work tomorrow. We’re going to Besaw’s — no surprise there. It’s only my favorite breakfast place that I’ve mentioned over and over again, right?
Meanwhile, if you like chorizo and spicy seasonings, this recipe will be right up your alley. It’s got a nice smoky kick that tastes divine with the buttery mashed cauliflower. It’s pretty much a match made in heaven.
For the spicy chorizo sauce:
- 1 Tbsp US Wellness Meats grass-fed tallow
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 2 fresh pork chorizo sausages, sliced
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder (add more or less depending on spice preference)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 tsp apple cider vinegar (add more if sauce tastes too spicy for you)
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Melt tallow in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and stir.
- After a minute or so, add the ground beef and chorizo. Break up the beef with a spatula and continue to cook.
- Once the meat is nearly done browning, add the chili and chipotle powder, smoked paprika, and sea salt and pepper. Cook for another minute and then add the apple cider vinegar, broth, tomatoes and green beans.
- Continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes or until green beans are tender. Serve atop of mashed buttered cauliflower (recipe below).
Yields: 4 servings
For the mashed cauliflower:
- 1 medium head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 3 Tbsp grass-fed butter (don’t skimp!)
- Sea salt to taste
- Place cauliflower in a pot with a steamer basket and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook the cauliflower for about 10-11 minutes or until soft.
- Place the cooked cauliflower in the food processor with the butter and sea salt. Process for 20-30 seconds and then scrape down the sides with a spatula. Add more salt or butter if desired. Then, process again until smooth.