I love a good bean-free chili, especially this time of year. It’s hearty, zesty, meaty and a stick to your ribs kind of meal. I decided to try a new twist on my chili this time and went for more of a taco flair. It came out way better than I expected and not only that, but it is incredibly easy (this would totally fly for one of my Simple Supper Friday meals). Honestly, the night I made this, I could not stop raving about the flavors…it’s just that freaking good! And, it tastes even better the next day.
Now, it’s your turn to be the judge and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. In fact, Jesse and I will enjoy the last of it tonight since we both work late (thank goodness for leftovers!).
Cheers and happy Tuesday!
- 1 Tbsp grass-fed butter
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 2 fresh chicken or pork chorizo sausages, sliced OR removed from casing
- 3 Tbsp junk-free taco seasoning (I buy in bulk section at grocery store) OR make your own homemade taco seasoning
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 14 oz container organic fresh salsa (I used medium)
- 1 26.45 oz box strained tomatoes (I like this brand)
- 3.5 cups chicken bone broth, plus more if needed
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro, for serving
- Avocado slices, for serving
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and poblano pepper, and stir. After a few minutes, add the ground beef and break up with a spatula. Add the choirzo (either as slices or removed from casing) and taco seasoning. Stir well and continue to cook.
- After several minutes, once meat is browned, add the lime juice, salsa, strained tomatoes and bone broth. Bring to a simmer. Then, cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Once chili has simmered for about 10-15 minutes, add the apple cider vinegar and stir. Then, taste and season with sea salt and pepper, as needed. Cover and allow to simmer 20-30 minutes more. Add more broth if chili is thicker than you like.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and avocado slices, and any other garnishes your heart desires.
Yields: ~6 servings
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.