Simple Supper Friday: Classic Slow Cooker Beef Roast
Sometimes, picking a name for a recipe is the hardest part. Do I try and be more creative or straight forward? What do I feature or not feature? What if something is really simple and just sort of classically good? For instance, this recipe? This recipe is easy to prepare and has simple, yet outstanding flavor. No one flavor stands out among another, other than…beef. It’s tender, shredded and succulent. It’s perfect and classic, and can be paired with whatever your heart desires.
Remember to plan ahead for this recipe since it needs plenty of time to cook in the slow cooker. It’s an easy recipe, but won’t be on the table with a snap of your fingers. Preparation and planning is key!
Cheers and happy Friday!
Adapted from this recipe.
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into thin half moons
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp bacon grease, plus more if needed
- ~2 lb beef cross rib roast, preferably grass-fed
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (I like this brand)
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef bone broth
- 1/2 Tbsp raw honey, optional
- 1 Tbsp coconut aminos (buy here if can’t find locally)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (use more or less to adjust spiciness)
- Himalayan sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Melt bacon grease in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and saute a few minutes, until onion is soft. Once done, remove from heat and pour into the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Season the roast with the sea salt and black pepper on each side. Brown over medium heat for 3-4 minutes each side, in the same pan you cooked the onion in. Add more bacon grease, if needed. Once done, remove from heat and place in the slow cooker, atop of the onion mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together the vinegar, broth, and coconut aminos. Pour into the pan that the meat browned in and stir to scrape up the brown bits (deglaze the pan). Then, pour the mixture over top of the roast. Drizzle the raw honey into the mixture (around the meat) and sprinkle in the red pepper flakes.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook roast on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8.
- Once done, shred the meat with two forks and serve with vegetable(s) of choice.
Yields: 3-4 servings
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.