Simple Supper Friday: Classic Slow Cooker Beef Roast

Sometimes, picking a name for a recipe is the hardest part. Do I try and be more creative or straight forward? What do I feature or not feature? What if something is really simple and just sort of classically good? For instance, this recipe? This recipe is easy to prepare and has simple, yet outstanding flavor. No one flavor stands out among another, other than…beef. It’s tender, shredded and succulent. It’s perfect and classic, and can be paired with whatever your heart desires.

Remember to plan ahead for this recipe since it needs plenty of time to cook in the slow cooker. It’s an easy recipe, but won’t be on the table with a snap of your fingers. Preparation and planning is key!

Cheers and happy Friday!

Adapted from this recipe.

• 1 medium red onion, sliced into thin half moons
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp bacon grease, plus more if needed
  • ~2 lb beef cross rib roast, preferably grass-fed
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (I like this brand)
  • 1/2 cup chicken or beef bone broth
  • 1/2 Tbsp raw honey, optional
  • 1 Tbsp coconut aminos (buy here if can’t find locally)
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (use more or less to adjust spiciness)
  • Himalayan sea salt and black pepper to taste

1. Melt bacon grease in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and saute a few minutes, until onion is soft. Once done, remove from heat and pour into the bottom of your slow cooker.
  2. Season the roast with the sea salt and black pepper on each side. Brown over medium heat for 3-4 minutes each side, in the same pan you cooked the onion in. Add more bacon grease, if needed. Once done, remove from heat and place in the slow cooker, atop of the onion mixture.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together the vinegar, broth, and coconut aminos. Pour into the pan that the meat browned in and stir to scrape up the brown bits (deglaze the pan). Then, pour the mixture over top of the roast. Drizzle the raw honey into the mixture (around the meat) and sprinkle in the red pepper flakes.
  4. Place lid on slow cooker and cook roast on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8.
  5. Once done, shred the meat with two forks and serve with vegetable(s) of choice.

Yields: 3-4 servings

24 thoughts on “Simple Supper Friday: Classic Slow Cooker Beef Roast

1. Craving4More October 25, 2013 / 8:45 am

Gorgeous! Your photos just keep getting better and better!

• paleoinpdx October 25, 2013 / 8:47 am

Thank you…I try! I’d love to get my hands on a good camera with a lens, but I can’t afford one. For now, my digital point n’ shoot has to suffice!

2. Naz (@CinnamonEats) October 25, 2013 / 8:55 am

I completely agree with what Ashley said! I looked at this photo and thought WOW! Beautiful photo and I can just imagine how tasty the dish is :)

• paleoinpdx October 25, 2013 / 8:56 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you! That means a lot. I’m trying to get better with my photos and don’t have any sort of professional setup or camera, but do the best I can! I appreciate you saying this since your photos are always SO gorgeous!

• Naz (@CinnamonEats) October 25, 2013 / 9:33 am

Oh thanks! I try! I definitely don’t have the high gadget equipment or studio set up that some other bloggers do but I just do the best I can with what I have!

3. onmywaytohealth October 25, 2013 / 9:51 am

This looks amazing! I can imagine eating that on top of some cauliflower mash! :)

• paleoinpdx October 25, 2013 / 9:54 am

Yes, cauli mash would be delicious! My husband and I ate it with winter squash and sauteed kale.

• onmywaytohealth October 25, 2013 / 10:01 am

That sounds just as good! I think I’m going to add this to my menu for next week!

• paleoinpdx October 25, 2013 / 10:03 am

Great! Hope you enjoy it!

4. Emmas Paleo October 26, 2013 / 10:31 pm

Oh yummmm!!! Must buy a slow cooker like RIGHT NOW. Can’t beleive I haven’t done that yet

• paleoinpdx October 27, 2013 / 8:25 am

I can’t believe you don’t have a slow cooker either! They’re super affordable (mine is Crock Pot brand and was $26 brand new on Amazon – 4 quart size) and worth every penny! Go get one!

• Emmas Paleo October 27, 2013 / 8:27 am

Omg that’s so cheap!!! Will buy one ASAP!!! Thanks for the tip! :)

• paleoinpdx October 27, 2013 / 12:15 pm

Yes, do it!

5. Paula October 27, 2013 / 4:07 pm

I made this today (for my simple supper Sunday) and it is fall-apart-fork- tender delicious! Browning roasts before putting them in the slow cooker makes such a nice difference, and the vinegar must help tenderize it too. We enjoyed it with buttercup squash (yes, I think this is now my favorite kind) and Brussels sprouts. Lots of leftovers for this week!

• paleoinpdx October 28, 2013 / 5:43 pm

I love that you try so many of my recipes, Paula and always appreciate your feedback! I agree about browning roasts beforehand — my mom taught me that and I understand why, as it makes a big difference. Great work pairing it with buttercup squash and brussel sprouts. Yum! You can have me over for dinner anytime ;)

6. Rosemary October 29, 2013 / 12:45 am

Oh man, that looks so good! Beef roast is one of my favorite things ever in autumn. I was reading from Charlie and the Chocolate factory with my boyfriend’s son yesterday and there’s one part that says: ‘There is something about very cold weather that gives one an enormous appetite. Most of us find ourselves beginning to crave rich steaming stews and hot apple pies and all kinds of delicious warming dishes…’ — this reminds me of that! Can’t wait to try it. It will be a nice reprieve from a full week of gray and foggy Ukrainian weather!

• paleoinpdx October 29, 2013 / 8:40 am

Thanks, Rosemary! I love that you brought up Charlie and the Chocolate Factory — such a fantastic movie and that line that you quoted is SO true! I hope you enjoy the recipe :)

7. Megan October 29, 2013 / 7:12 pm

I made a recipe on Sunday inspired by this guy!! I ended up with onion, beef, 1 can diced tomatoes (plain no salt), honey, red pepper flakes, baby carrots, and mushrooms! It was SO good! Thanks for the ideas!

• paleoinpdx October 29, 2013 / 9:21 pm

Sounds fabulous! I’m glad I could inspire ;)

8. Courtnie November 3, 2013 / 5:33 pm

This was delicious and easy! Love it, thank you. I roasted some asparagus and butternut squash in the oven to go with it.

• paleoinpdx November 3, 2013 / 5:46 pm

Sounds perfect and I’m so glad you enjoyed it! It makes me happy when people try my recipes (and like them!), so thank you ;)