Simple Supper Friday: New Year’s Beef Stew
Happy New Year, everyone! I hope 2014 is treating you well so far and that you’re not too blue with the holiday season being over. I’m always a little sad when it’s said and done, but the fact that it only comes once a year is part of what makes it so special. The rest of my decorations and the tree will come down this weekend…sigh. Since New Year’s, I’ve gradually been taking things down, but saved the lights inside and tree for last. There’s a lot to look forward to this year though, and I’m excited for what’s in store and what I’ll create for myself.
Meanwhile, this stew came together on a whim on New Year’s Day, hence the name, New Year’s stew. I didn’t make any special trip to the store or anything like that, but just used what was in the fridge and cupboards. I threw everything together in my slow cooker and then Jesse and I went out for a nice walk in the sunny, 40-degree weather. After more than five years of living out here, I’m still not used to the weather being like this during the holidays and winter, but it is pretty nice. If I could have snow for Christmas though, I’d take it. There’s really nothing like a white Christmas.
Anyway, have a great weekend and enjoy the stew if you choose to make it. Also, if you want to follow along with me for the January Instagram challenge, check out my Instagram page here. You can also participate if you want, as it’s not too late. Cheers!
- 1 Tbsp grass-fed butter, ghee or tallow
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb grass-fed beef stew meat
- 3 large carrots, chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 2 small parsnips, chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- ~1/2 medium head green cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, preferably homemade
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and saute until softened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and place in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add the chopped carrots, parsnips, tomatoes to the slow cooker as well, atop of the onion mixture.
- Meanwhile, in the same pan over medium heat, add the stew meat. Brown a couple minutes on each side. Then, remove from heat and add to the slow cooker.
- Add the broth, vinegar, oregano, thyme, black pepper and cayenne; stir. Then, add the chopped cabbage atop of everything. Stir gently, if desired (not necessary though).
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5-6 hours. Stir well once done and serve.
Yields: ~3 servings