Simple Supper Friday: Southwest Beef & Broccoli Slaw
For a while now, ground meat cooked with broccoli slaw has been one of my favorite, easy, go-to meals. I can easily change the flavor by using different spices and Tessemae’s All Natural dressings, and adding any extra veggies I have on hand. It always satisfies and I don’t get sick of it, nor does Jesse. My schedule varies and some nights I don’t get home until late in the evening, so having this easy and quick option to throw together works great. Plus, I always look forward to eating it. Even though I didn’t do it here, I usually always toss some avocado slices on top too because avocado makes everything better.
On another note, you have probably noticed that I’ve cut back on blogging quite a bit. This is just where my life is right now and what I need to do. To be honest, it feels kinda good and it’s nice not to stress over posts (after all, this was always meant to be fun). Even though I don’t post as much, I am still active on Facebook, so make sure to follow me there if you don’t already. I still aim to get at least one quality post up each week, so you can always look forward to that. Anyway, thanks so much for your support and understanding. Meanwhile, always know that I am here if you have questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Cheers and happy Friday!
- 1.5 tsp grass-fed butter*
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into thin half moons
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb 20% fat grass-fed ground beef
- 2 large carrots, sliced into thin coins (rounds)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 12 oz bag broccoli slaw
- Tessemae’s Southwest Ranch, for drizzling on top, once served
*Note: you may need more butter if you choose to use leaner ground beef
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Once melted, add the onion and garlic, and saute about 1-2 minutes.
- Then, add the ground beef and break up with a spatula. After a minute or so, add the sliced carrots and season to taste with a little sea salt and black pepper. Stir well, and then add the cumin and chili powder.
- After 5-7 minutes, once meat is browned, add the broccoli slaw. Stir and season to taste with a bit more sea salt and pepper, if desired.
- Continue to cook over medium-low heat for a few minutes or until slaw has softened a bit.
- Once done, serve into bowls and drizzle Tessemae’s Southwest Ranch dressing on top. You can also drizzle this over the whole pan after removing it from the heat, but it’s a little spicy and best served individually. If desired, throw some avocado slices on top too.
Yields: 3 servings