It’s only as of recent that I tried sardines for the first time and realized that I like the little suckers. I bought a tin of them a while back and had it in the cupboard for months before I decided to crack it open. I was kinda scared, but finally went for it. Since then, I’ve had sardines a couple more times and still much prefer to eat them in scrambles, as it mellows out some of the strong flavor. I can handle small amounts straight up with pickled veggies, but can’t finish off a whole tin like I can here.
Meanwhile, to fill you all in on what I’ve been up to — I just recently got back from a trip home to Michigan. It was a fun and eventful trip filled with my cousin’s wedding, time on the lake, lots of family time, reunions with friends, good food and relaxation. Now, in about a week, I’ll be heading to Jamaica with Jesse for 4 nights! I won a wellness retreat with ePhysiologix and get to stay at a topnotch all-inclusive resort in Negril, attend workshops, enjoy leisure time and network with other like-minded folks. It should be great and Jesse and I are stoked! We’ve never been to Jamaica before and Jesse’s never even been out of the country, except for Canada. We leave on a redeye a week from tomorrow!
- 1 can sardines in olive oil with lemon (I like this brand)
- 2 pasture-raised eggs, whisked
- 1/2 Tbsp grass-fed ghee or butter
- 1 cup broccoli slaw
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Chili powder to taste
- Chipotle powder to taste
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Drizzle of Tessemae’s All Natural Lemon Chesapeake, optional
- Melt ghee or butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the broccoli slaw and season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, place sardines in a medium-sized bowl and mash with a fork (discard leftover oil in tin). Whisk in the eggs and add the cumin, chili powder, chipotle powder, sea salt and pepper.
- Once the slaw is softened a bit, add the sardine/egg mixture. Stir with a spatula to mix everything together.
- Continue to cook over medium or medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until scramble is cooked through.
- Remove from heat and drizzle Tessemae’s All Natural Lemon Chesapeake on top, if using.