I regularly make homemade granola and while whipping up a batch one day, decided to try something new: turmeric and spice granola. I liked the way it turned out a lot, but tweaked the recipe slightly the second time I made it and liked it even better.
I’ve actually been putting turmeric in nearly everything lately and even recently bought some fresh turmeric root for the first time ever. I know turmeric is incredibly good for you and has great flavor, but often forget about it when I’m choosing my spices for a dish. I think it’s become more of a habit to reach for it now and don’t plan to forget about this incredible spice!
Turmeric and Spice Granola
- 5-6 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- ~2.5 cups raw pumpkin seeds (I used raw sprouted ones)
- ~2 cups raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract (I like this brand)
- 2-3 Tbsp raw honey or to taste
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 + 1/8 tsp ground turmeric
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Pour coconut, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds on a large baking sheet.
- In a bowl or glass measuring cup, mix together the coconut oil, vanilla, raw honey, sea salt and spices.
- Pour oil and spice mixture over the coconut and seeds. Stir well to coat. If need be, divide granola up between two baking sheets, but make sure it’s not spread too thin, so the coconut doesn’t burn!
- Place in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove and stir, and place in oven for another 15 minutes. Stir again and if need be, place in oven for another 5-10 minutes. Keep an eye on it at this point to make sure it doesn’t get too dark!
- Cool completely and store in glass jars.