It’s here: the grain-free party mix of your dreams! It’s oven-baked, crunchy, salty and insanely delicious. It is a must-have snack for get-togethers during the holiday season.
I grew up eating homemade Chex Mix every year during the holidays from the time I was a little kid on. It was something I ate copious amounts of (along with homemade Christmas cookies) and thoroughly enjoyed. I also adored its salty aroma when it was baking in the oven and it lured me into the kitchen every time. I especially loved the pieces that were extra coated in seasoning and stuck together in a chewy sorta way.
After discovering I was allergic to gluten several years ago and then later going totally grain-free, I thought my Chex Mix days were over. And, honestly, for a long time, I didn’t miss or think about this snack mix much, but something struck me this year and I wanted to create my own version. I also assumed there were others that wanted a grain-free party mix as well, so I went for it. I’m so glad I did because it does not disappoint!
Cheers and happy holidays!
Oven-Baked Grain-Free Party Mix
- 1/4 cup melted grass-fed butter, ghee, or avocado oil
- 1.5 cups raw almonds, preferably sprouted
- 1 cup raw cashews, preferably sprouted
- 1 cup raw walnuts, preferably sprouted
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds, preferably sprouted
- 4 oz package roasted plantain chips (I like this brand)
- 1 heaping cup unsweetened coconut flakes (not shredded)
- 2 Tbsp coconut aminos (find here)
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce (I like this brand, which is gluten-free and unsweetened)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules or powder
- 1/2 tsp onion granules or powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Pinch of cayenne
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a large roasting pan, mix together the almonds, cashews, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, coconut flakes, and plantain chips. In a small bowl, whisk the melted butter or ghee (obviously you don’t have to melt avocado oil, if using) with the coconut aminos, fish sauce, and all the seasonings.
- Pour the seasoning mixture over the nut mix and stir to coat. Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Once cooled, store in airtight container.