I just made the absolute best breakfast sandwich. No joke, everything about it was pure bliss and thinking about it makes my mouth water for more. For you former Egg McMuffin lovers out there (or current Egg McMuffin lovers), give these a shot instead. Your body will thank you.
I got the idea in my head last night after making some biscuits to go with dinner, and could not wait for breakfast this morning! These biscuits are so versatile, flavorful and easy. I only made a half batch, but next time will definitely make the full recipe (as shown below). These can easily be frozen as well.
- 2-1/2 C almond flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 C melted grass-fed ghee, butter, coconut oil or lard from pastured pigs
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 Tbsp raw honey, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl.
- Add the eggs, melted ghee, vinegar and honey, if using. Mix well until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Drop large tablespoons of batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a greased baking sheet.
- Run a wet hand or spoon over each biscuit to smooth out and flatten a bit.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Yields: 12 biscuits.
For the sandwich, I toasted a halved biscuit, put a smear of ghee on each half and topped it with a fried egg and avocado slices. Of course, you can also top it with a sausage patty, nitrate-free bacon, tomato, etc. I ate my sandwich with two Applegate Naturals chicken apple sausages and an orange. It was a delightful breakfast and will serve as great fuel for my workout in a couple hours at Recreate Fitness.