Almond Flour Cinnamon Rolls

Cinnamon rolls

Oh no I didn’t … oh yes, I did! I made grain-free cinnamon rolls and seriously, these will rock your socks off. I actually made these once before this past Easter and have been dying to make them again, but held off. Finally, I caved the other morning and decided it was happening. I follow a recipe that I originally found via Pinterest, but modify it slightly to my liking. Additionally, I only make a half batch and cut the pieces smaller to make mini cinnamon rolls. Now, these are quite different than your standard cinnamon roll — they’re more biscuit-like, but still nice and soft with layers that can be pulled apart (that’s my favorite way to eat ’em). Check out the link below to view the recipe.

The Best Almond Flour (biscuit style) Cinnamon Rolls by The Urban Poser

I made the following changes to the recipe:

• Take out the raisins, since I don’t usually have them on hand
  • Add two tablespoons of melted ghee or butter to the honey/nut/cinnamon filling mixture (note, this needs to be 4 Tbsp if making the full recipe)
  • Drizzle with melted coconut butter only, no honey
  • Also know, I follow the recipe using the lesser amount of honey for the filling – it truly doesn’t need more than that

If you make these, be very careful when rolling up the dough and when rolling with the rolling pin. It’s fragile, so go slowly! It’s well worth it to slow down, even though you’re excited to get these little suckers in the oven, so you can have a taste sooner than later. Be patient and I promise it will pay off!

Rolling the dough

Spreading on the filling

Cinnamon rolls going in oven

Cinnamon roll closeup

Cinnamon roll layers

16 thoughts on “Almond Flour Cinnamon Rolls

1. freedominhim July 4, 2012 / 8:07 pm

Mmmm… cinnamon rolls. Be still my heart!

• paleoinportland July 9, 2012 / 11:16 am

I highly recommend it! Just watch out … they’re almost too good!

• Tina July 9, 2012 / 11:51 am

Haha, I’ll try to control myself. Btw, do you know of any way to make this one with coconut flour instead of Almond Flour? I only have coconut flour at home atm.

2. paleoinportland July 9, 2012 / 3:14 pm

Unfortunately, there’s no way coconut flour alone will work. You have to roll the dough with a rolling pin and then roll it up to cut the cinnamon rolls, and coconut flour won’t hold up. You can make your own almond flour in the food processor if you have some almonds on hand though.

3. edeandanna December 4, 2012 / 10:29 pm

These look great. It is family tradition to open Christmas stockings over coffee & cinnamon rolls, so I am hoping these will work instead of the store-bought kinds. I can’t wait to give this recipe a try!

• paleoinpdx December 5, 2012 / 8:22 am

They will be great for Christmas! I don’t make these very often, but let me tell you, they are SO delicious! I was pleasantly surprised the first time I made them. They were better than I expected. I can’t wait for you to try them!

• edeandanna January 11, 2013 / 8:33 pm

Sigh. I ended up getting confused about baking soda vs. baking powder, so these had a nice flavor but were a bit like hockey pucks. I definitely want to try them again with the proper ingredients. I’ll let you know when I do.

4. paleoinpdx January 11, 2013 / 8:35 pm

Oh no! I’ve definitely had my share of baking mishaps too. Better luck next time!

• paleoinpdx January 31, 2013 / 8:44 am

They are awesome! I just wish I could have gotten better pictures at the time…

5. Steffi March 28, 2013 / 10:17 am

I tried these today but my dough was not loking wet like yours and the turned put really dry 😦 Any tips to make them softer and more juicy?

• paleoinpdx March 28, 2013 / 10:28 am

I’ve never had that problem before, but you could maybe try adding a little liquid to the dough — maybe almond or coconut milk. I don’t know how it will work out, but it might be worth a shot.

• Steffi March 28, 2013 / 1:49 pm

Ok I will try this. Maybe here in Germany we have a different almound flour and I need to use less

• paleoinpdx March 28, 2013 / 3:44 pm

Did you use almond flour or meal? Meal has the almond skins blended in, but the flour is made from blanched almonds, so there’s no skin.