I decided to jumpstart my day with an appropriate Fourth of July breakfast: a red, white and blue omelet. It’s kinda like a fruity pancake, in a way.
First, let me explain that this is not a savory omelet, but a sweeter one rather. I was inspired by Paleo Magazine’s, Strawberry Applesauce Omelet recipe, but added an Independence Day twist to it. I ate mine with two of Applegate Naturals’ chicken apple sausages. See my take on the recipe below.
Enjoy and happy Fourth of July!
Red, White and Blue Omelet
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp grass-fed ghee or coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 3-4 sliced strawberries
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh or frozen blueberries (thaw if using frozen)
- Coconut butter, for drizzling
- Drizzle of raw honey, optional
- Melt ghee in heated skillet. Meanwhile, beat together eggs, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Pour egg mixture into skillet. Cook until mostly set, then flip.
- Spread the applesauce, strawberries and blueberries over half the omelet. Drizzle on the honey, if using and coconut butter.
- Fold in half and slide onto a plate.