5-Minute Grain-Free Mug Cake

Grain-free mug cake with fresh berries.

Sometimes you just want cake. Am I right? Well, maybe. Actually, to be honest, I never really crave cake or think about it. I do enjoy grain-free coconut cake with SCD yogurt cream cheese frosting though, but it takes a while to make and involves a large quantity of each of its ingredients. It’s definitely something I have to plan for, and I only make it for special occasions.

Recently though, I bumped into a simple recipe for a grain-free mug cake on a fellow blogger’s site, Writing in White. I felt intrigued to try it, especially because it only made one serving and took no more than five minutes total to make.

I tweaked it a little bit and only used about one teaspoon of honey instead of one tablespoon, omitted the stevia, added almond extract, but not vanilla (I’m all out right now) and used water instead of coconut milk because I didn’t feel like opening a whole can just for two tablespoons (I’m out of the small 8.5 oz boxes of the Aroy-D brand). Also, I served my mug cake with fresh berries, rather than chocolate chips or sprinkles.

The whole process did indeed take five minutes or less and was so easy. It could literally be called, “mug cake for dummies.” The coolest part was watching the cake puff up in the microwave. The mug was about half full of batter and then suddenly, it became all puffy and was standing up out of the mug — kind of like a soufflé. The cake tasted good, almond-y and subtly sweet, which is good for my tastes (I don’t like stuff too sweet and my taste buds have adapted to less sweet). If I make it again, I’ll microwave it for 1.5 minutes instead of two. Some bites were a little dry and I think less cooking time will help prevent this from happening.

From this ...
From this …
... to this!
… to this! (Don’t mind the spots in my microwave – guess I need to wipe it down. Mom, don’t look!)
Mug cake with fresh berries
Mug cake with fresh berries.

16 thoughts on “5-Minute Grain-Free Mug Cake

1. Amanda July 26, 2012 / 10:01 am

I’m glad the recipe worked out for you! Yours turned out much prettier than mine did!

• paleoinportland July 26, 2012 / 10:02 am

You think so? I thought yours looked beautiful, especially the way you had it styled. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

2. Alissa July 26, 2012 / 10:33 am

Holy frijoles!!!! This blows my mind. I am totally giving this a try!!!!! I bet putting the fresh berries inside the cake would taste like a cobbler!!!! Mmmmm.

• paleoinportland July 26, 2012 / 10:35 am

Ooo … I like your thinking! If you try it with berries inside, let me know how it works out. That’s a great idea!

3. Almond Oats. July 26, 2012 / 11:09 am

That looks great! And so simple. Definitely a quick breakfast option once school starts!

• paleoinportland July 26, 2012 / 11:31 am

Thanks, it’s SO easy to make! Definitely a great, quick breakfast option. I think it’d be really good with coconut butter drizzled on top too. I am such a sucker for that stuff.

4. VJ July 26, 2012 / 9:20 pm

My mouth is watering looking at this!

5. Kimberly September 3, 2012 / 8:02 pm

Thanks for sharing – this is absolutely delicious! Made this not even 10 minutes ago and it’s gone between me and the hubby.

Changes I had to make were: 4 tbsp shredded/desiccated coconut, 2 tbsp coconut flour, increased to 2 eggs, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp of honey.

I cooked mine in a tall mug sprayed down with coconut oil and at 90 secs. It puffed up beautifully! I took it out of the mug so it could cool down and then I drizzled a bit of honey on my half of the cake.

I have made the cake in a mug recipe before, but this is the first time with a non-grain flour nor cocoa. It’s wonderful! I will try this again tomorrow with the leftover blueberries from our Farmers Market.

• paleoinpdx September 3, 2012 / 8:22 pm

Awesome, so glad you liked it, although I can’t take credit for the recipe. Isn’t it great how ridiculously quick and easy it is? Dessert in a pinch! Your changes sound good — I prefer coconut flour to almond flour whenever possible. I bet it’ll be great with blueberries 🙂

6. Nicole November 20, 2012 / 7:10 pm

This is fantastic! I defrosted some frozen berries in my mug then poured the batter on top. It in indeed a bit like cobbler. Yum!

I followed a couple of your substitutions and it turned out great!

• paleoinpdx November 20, 2012 / 7:12 pm

Awesome! I’m happy to hear it 🙂

7. Rebecca October 12, 2013 / 11:27 am

Did this recipe get pulled? All I can find are the pictures.

• paleoinpdx October 12, 2013 / 11:30 am

If you read the text, you’ll find the link to the recipe. I tested someone else’s recipe, so gave her the full credit. It’s the link ‘Writing in White.’

• Rebecca October 13, 2013 / 1:07 pm