My Go-To Lunches and Some Ideas

In debating what to blog about today, I realized that I’ve never addressed any lunch recipes or ideas. I’m not sure why that is exactly … maybe because I usually just throw something together or eat dinner leftovers. Also, lunch is my least favorite meal of the day. Don’t get me wrong, I love to eat and definitely enjoy lunch, but of my three meals each day, lunch is number three (breakfast is number one and dinner is number two). I generally don’t eat snacks because my body doesn’t need it, and eating high-quality protein and fats in each meal helps carry me over to the next.

Below you’ll see a few of my typical lunches. Sometimes, I’ll have a small dish of homemade 24-hour whole milk yogurt and a piece of fruit with my lunch as well. It just depends on what my lunch is and how I feel. Following my photos, you’ll find a few great sounding and looking lunch ideas.

Applegate Naturals fresh-sliced (not pre-sliced) oven-roasted turkey breast, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, avocado and carrots.
Two grass-fed beef hot dogs, sauerkraut, avocado, cucumber slices, carrots and Dijon mustard.
Two Applegate Naturals nitrate-free, grass-fed beef hot dogs, sauerkraut, avocado, cucumber slices, carrots and Dijon mustard.
(Taken with iPhone). Large spinach leaves wrapped with Applegate Naturals freshly-sliced oven roasted turkey breast, avocado and cucumber slices, and carrots with homemade beet dip. Sometimes I make these wraps with romaine or green leaf lettuce too. See link to my beet dip recipe below.
Salad at Whole Foods
(Taken with iPhone). Salad at Whole Foods: spinach, cucumber, carrots, beets, hard-boiled eggs, small amount of walnuts, rotisserie chicken, all topped with olive oil. Also, a side of fresh strawberries and blueberries. Sometimes I buy a few slices of Applegate Naturals freshly-sliced oven-roasted chicken or turkey breast and add it into my salad. It’s cheaper (because of the weight) than adding a bunch of rotisserie chicken pieces!

In case you’re curious about my beet dip recipe, check out this blog post from a while back. You’ll see a carrot dip recipe, which is exactly the same as the beet dip — just sub beets for carrots (about 2 cups worth).

Now, here are some lunch recipes that look worthy of trying. I’ve pinned all of them to my Pinterest boards and encourage you to come follow me! To find these recipes, just click on each photo.

Turkey avocado roll-ups from Avocado Pesto.
Turkey avocado roll-ups from Avocado Pesto.
Hayley's Chicken Salad
Hayley’s Chicken Salad from The Food Lovers Kitchen.
Or this chicken salad from Everyday Paleo.
Or this chicken salad from Everyday Paleo.
Bacon, egg, avocado and tomato salad from Mark's Daily Apple.
Bacon, egg, avocado and tomato salad from Mark’s Daily Apple.
Spinach and smoked salmon salad with lemon dill dressing from Food & Wine.
Spinach and smoked salmon salad with lemon dill dressing from Food & Wine.
Grain-free salmon cakes from Balanced Bites.
Grain-free salmon cakes from Balanced Bites.

9 thoughts on “My Go-To Lunches and Some Ideas

1. Stella August 7, 2012 / 12:58 pm

Oh, man, that sausage and sauerkraut and mustard! I need to eat that a lot more often. So luxurious and filling – and simple! I love those flavors.

Those turkey avocado roll-ups look amazing, as well.

And you’ve reminded me that, next time I have some salmon (or, indeed, just buy some canned), I need to make salmon cakes! Delish!

• paleoinportland August 7, 2012 / 3:14 pm

Thanks, it is yummy and one of my fav lunches as of late! It’s actually grass-fed beef hot dogs, but close enough to sausage 😉

I know, I need to try making the salmon cakes too. The recipe sounds so easy and I think it’d work great with canned salmon!

• Stella August 7, 2012 / 3:46 pm

I just left the little market near my office, and I *almost* got some canned salmon – $2.19 a can! – but I wasn’t sure I could trust its provenance. Better wait till my next visit to Wheatsville Co-op. Those dogs look amazing. The DID inspire me to buy two varieties of mustard!

• paleoinportland August 7, 2012 / 4:04 pm

Nice on the mustard purchases! I know, canned salmon is a bit more spendy compared to tuna, but I bet it’d be worth it for the recipe.

2. barefootandprimal August 7, 2012 / 7:13 pm

Those ideas are amazing! I’m going to have to try the bacon, egg, avocado & tomato salad!

• paleoinportland August 7, 2012 / 7:15 pm

I know, I’m pretty stoked to try that recipe too! I love all of those ingredients!

3. Jodi Wright August 8, 2012 / 2:27 pm

I found some Wild Caught ‘canned’ fish that I can use when I’m out of fresh ingrediants. Tonnio makes Tuna Fillets with Jalapeno in Olive Oil and Tuna Fillets with Oregano in Olive Oil in glass jars. Bar Harbor makes a variety of Wild Herring Fillets in different sauces (canned). Bring on the Omega 3!

Good post, lunch is the most difficult meal for me to assemble away from home. Thanks and see you Thursday!

• paleoinportland August 8, 2012 / 3:33 pm

I’m glad you like the post, and thanks for the suggestions, Jodi! I like tuna every now and again, but tend to get sick of it really easily. The kinds you mention sound a bit tastier than just plain ol’ canned tuna. I can’t stomach herring or sardines, but I give you credit for being able to eat the little buggers!

Sorry, but you won’t see me tomorrow. I’m catching a red-eye flight tonight back to Michigan and won’t be back until late on the 20th. I’ll see you when I return!