Breakfast With a Side of Ice Cream — Yep, I’m Home

Big Boy
Big Boy (Photo credit: big boy.com)

Jesse and I successfully made it back to Michigan after a tiring red-eye flight and four hour drive home from Detroit. His parents picked us up from the Detroit airport Thursday morning, just after 6:30 a.m. On our drive up, we stopped for breakfast at a well-known Michigan chain restaurant called, Big Boy.

I ordered two fried eggs, a side of steamed broccoli and fresh fruit. I tried to order green tea, but the waitress told me they only had “regular,” whatever that means, right? Funny because green tea is pretty standard or at least I thought so. In this case, regular meant Big Boy brand black tea. One other thing that made me laugh was when I asked for a side of vegetables with my eggs instead of toast and hash browns. One of the options the waitress gave me was corn, which technically isn’t really a vegetable — it’s a grain. I get that a lot of people consider it a vegetable though, and at one time I thought so too, but in all reality, it’s a grain. Plus, the combo of eggs and corn sounds less than desirable, or at least to me. I was hesitant to eat any of the meat there, so to be safe, I didn’t order any.

The highlight moment at the restaurant was when I saw the waitress delivering a hot fudge sundae to the booth across from us. Mind you, it was 8 in the morning! At any other time of day it wouldn’t be so unusual, but early in the morning? The woman had already eaten a plateful of breakfast and then moved onto the sundae, as she read her morning paper. Sugar addiction much? I couldn’t believe it, but really, it’s no laughing matter. Sugar addiction is far too common of a problem, among other things.

Hot fudge sundae at 8 a.m.?
Hot fudge sundae at 8 a.m. anyone? (Photo credit: pictures depot.com)

The “welcome home” moment continued as we got back into the car and Hall and Oates came on the radio. This type of music always reminds me of Michigan. Yep, welcome home.

Also, side note, but please pardon my lack of a Simple Supper Friday recipe today. Traveling and no access to internet screws up my schedule a little bit! Today is the first day I’ve been able to sit down and get online. Hopefully, I’ll have a recipe up next Friday.

12 thoughts on “Breakfast With a Side of Ice Cream — Yep, I’m Home

1. rlodin August 10, 2012 / 7:56 pm

haha nice story – i thought corn was a vegetable too! Sugar “addiction” is serious! When I am on low carb, I find it amazing how much easier it is to avoid sugary sweets than when I am carbing it up like nobody’s business. Recently I have been trying to balance low carb with doing lots of sports training, which can sometimes take a toll on my body when the excersises are high intensity. Do you ever have this issue?

2. paleoinportland August 10, 2012 / 8:04 pm

Thanks for the comment — I’m glad you like my story! In regards too your question, I don’t seem to have that problem too much. If I’m feeling extra beat from a lot of training and activity, I eat extra fat (avocado or spoonfuls of coconut butter). This seems to help and sometimes I’ll eat a bit more fruit too for a little more carbs. I can’t eat sweet potatoes, but I know many grain-free/low-carb folks like them specifically for post-workout. More fat works for me though!

3. SCD Griddle August 11, 2012 / 5:19 pm

That is funny about people ordering a chocolate sundae at 8am. I guess I should talk ~ I used to work at a Big Boy’s while in college. One of my specialities was a drink that I’d concoct for myself drink. It was a pint-glass of iced coffee, with cream and sugar AND with a whole pump of carmel sauce and another of chocolate sauce. But whoa, it was good. I was a total sugar fiend! Nothing like a Big Boy’s. LOL.
    ~theresa @ scd griddle

• paleoinportland August 11, 2012 / 7:36 pm

Haha, that is funny Theresa, and you’re right … there is nothing like Big Boy! When I was a teenager, I loved getting a Big Boy vanilla milkshake and an order of french fries to dip in my shake. I never worked there, but did work at the Dairy Queen for many summers, where I’d concoct all sorts of stuff. Granted, it wasn’t early in the morning, but on the flip side, it was sometimes after 11 at night. It’s crazy to think about now, but at the time, I didn’t know nor did I care. I guess we’ve both come a long way 😉

• SCD Griddle August 12, 2012 / 4:50 pm

We’ve absolutely come a long way! I’ll bet you made tons of treats at DQ! Ahh, memories!
        Theresa

• paleoinportland August 13, 2012 / 7:53 am

You bet I did, Theresa! I definitely took advantage of it!

4. Katy August 12, 2012 / 7:25 am

I had to laugh when I read this post! This is so typical of Michigan (I can say that because I live here 🙂 ). There are healthy options in Michigan, but as you travel up north, they get fewer and farther between. I used to love the Big Boy milkshakes too. I can’t imagine eating something like that now though 🙂

• paleoinportland August 12, 2012 / 9:56 am

Haha, isn’t it, Katy? I’m glad you got a kick out of it too!

5. KristenK August 13, 2012 / 7:03 am

I love the reactions I get asking for veggies instead of toast and/or hashbrowns!

• paleoinportland August 13, 2012 / 7:55 am

Yep, it can be quite entertaining, especially in Michigan. In Portland it’s not so odd, but here is another story!

6. girlmeetspaleo August 13, 2012 / 3:13 pm

Not gonna lie, I could probably go for a sundae early in the morning some days ! coconut ice cream with pure dark chocolate doesn’t make it too much better though lol

• paleoinportland August 13, 2012 / 5:29 pm

Haha … maybe on those days you can opt for grain-free waffles or pancakes with coconut butter or something 😉 A sweeter side of breakfast without being dessert!