Moo-less Mousse

I’ve been digging into the recipes in Practical Paleo this week and have not been disappointed thus far. Before this week, the only thing I made from the book is the summer squash caprese noodle salad, so I was anxious to try more, especially after meeting and listening to Diane speak on Sunday. The recipes are easy to follow, uncomplicated and flavorful — a winning combination if you ask me!

One specific recipe from her book that I want to share is the Moo-less Pistachio Mousse. Oh.My.Gosh. It’s unbelievably creamy and almost brought me to tears. Yes, it’s that good. It really does remind me of pistachio pudding, minus the green dye, chemicals and over abundance of sweetness (I used to love that stuff and could eat a whole mix by myself … funny to think about now). ย Here’s the recipe, as written in Practical Paleo:

• 2 ripe avocados
  • 1-2 tsp pistachio or almond extract (use 1 if alcohol base or 2 if oil base)
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1 large or 2 small ripe bananas
  • 1 Tbsp maple syrup or softened honey (optional to taste and may not be necessary if bananas are sweet enough)
  • Pinch of sea salt
  • 2 Tbsp chopped pistachios
  1. Scoop out the flesh of the avocados into a small food processor, or mash them by hand. Add the pistachio or almond extract, coconut milk, bananas, maple syrup or honey, and sea salt, and process until creamy, whipped and well blended. You may whisk the ingredients together as well, if necessary.
  2. Serve in individual bowls. Garnish with chopped pistachios.
Moo-less mousse in my late Grandma Reilly's bowl.
Moo-less mousse in my late grandma’s retro bowl. My mom said she remembered this bowl being around when she was a kid. It seemed very fitting for a green pudding.
Delicious mousse in Grandma Reilly's bowl. That bowl contains many memories at the dinner table, during holidays and at family cookouts. I think it add extra love to anything it's filled with.
I think the bowl adds extra love to anything it’s filled with. In this case, it’s mousse.
Grandma's bowl and the mousse are a perfect match!
Grandma’s bowl and the mousse are a perfect match!

Just a couple things, I used almond extract (which is mentioned as an option in the book) because I couldn’t find pistachio extract anywhere. Anyone know where you can find that stuff? I also forgot to buy pistachios at the store, so I used sliced almonds instead, but it went well with the almond extract. On top of our individual servings, I also put some unsweetened coconut flakes. Jesse really loves chocolate and I can’t have chocolate or cocoa powder right now because of adhering to the SCD (specific carbohydrate diet), so I scooped some separately for him and mixed in some cocoa powder and a touch more honey, so the chocolate wouldn’t taste too bitter. Diane does have a moo-less chocolate mousse recipe in the book too and the recipe is similar to the pistachio, except for the following changes/additions:

• 1/4 cup unsweetened cacao powder
  • 2-4 Tbsp coconut milk (instead of 1/4 cup in the pistachio)
  • 1 ripe banana (optional in this recipe)
  • 1-4 Tbsp maple syrup or softened honey
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (instead of pistachio or almond extract)
  • Pinch of cinnamon
His and hers moo-less mousse
His and hers moo-less mousse.
Chocolate and pistachio (or I guess I should say almond?). Play around with the garnishes too ... lots of possibilities!

14 thoughts on “Moo-less Mousse

1. Corrie Anne August 29, 2012 / 11:26 pm

I love that idea!! I love pistachio things!

• paleoinpdx August 30, 2012 / 8:43 am

Corrie Anne, it’s to die for! The creaminess factor is unbelievable!

• paleoinpdx August 31, 2012 / 9:58 am

It is SO amazing! You’ve gotta try it!

2. eatandgetmoving August 31, 2012 / 12:52 pm

I love a good avocado mousse any time of day! I seriously could live of avocados! Lol

• paleoinpdx August 31, 2012 / 12:54 pm

Haha, me too! I eat ’em every day!

• eatandgetmoving August 31, 2012 / 1:00 pm

Glad I’m not the only one, ’cause I do too ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. Naz Kovacs September 5, 2012 / 9:14 pm

Wow this looks yum! Another recipe I must try! I have two recipes that are somewhat similar which you might be interested in:

1/2 cup frozen berries (strawberries and blueberries work best).
    1/2 soft avocado
    1 cup baby spinach leaves.
    1/4 cup raw cacao powder.
    Pinch of vanilla powder.
    Sweetener of your choice (original recipe calls for 1/2 tsp stevia).
    2 trays ice cubes (so a lot of ice!)

Blend in a high powered blender like a vitamix or if not add a little water.

2 ripe avocadoes
    1-2 teaspoons stevia (or sweetener of your choice)
    Sprinkle of vanilla powder.
    1/2 tsp cinnamon.
    1 tablespoon chia seeds.
    1/4 – 1/2 cup raw cacao powder.
    Pinch salt.
    1/2 cup coconut milk (from a can stored in the fridge).

Blend it all together and eat!

I know you said you don’t do cacao powder right now but you could try without as well ๐Ÿ™‚

• paleoinpdx September 5, 2012 / 9:16 pm

Awesome, thanks for sharing, Naz! I’ll have to try it, but without the cacao for now, as you suggested ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Naz Kovacs September 5, 2012 / 9:17 pm

๐Ÿ™‚ Let me know how it goes, I haven’t tried it without just yet!

4. Ashley Williams Waring October 31, 2012 / 1:19 pm

You are so spot on! I grew up eating pistachio pudding and this tastes exactly like it! So fun to see that someone else thought the exact same thing.

• paleoinpdx October 31, 2012 / 1:43 pm