I’ve been digging into the recipes in Practical Paleo this week and have not been disappointed thus far. Before this week, the only thing I made from the book is the summer squash caprese noodle salad, so I was anxious to try more, especially after meeting and listening to Diane speak on Sunday. The recipes are easy to follow, uncomplicated and flavorful — a winning combination if you ask me!
One specific recipe from her book that I want to share is the Moo-less Pistachio Mousse. Oh.My.Gosh. It’s unbelievably creamy and almost brought me to tears. Yes, it’s that good. It really does remind me of pistachio pudding, minus the green dye, chemicals and over abundance of sweetness (I used to love that stuff and could eat a whole mix by myself … funny to think about now). Here’s the recipe, as written in Practical Paleo:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1-2 tsp pistachio or almond extract (use 1 if alcohol base or 2 if oil base)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 large or 2 small ripe bananas
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or softened honey (optional to taste and may not be necessary if bananas are sweet enough)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 Tbsp chopped pistachios
- Scoop out the flesh of the avocados into a small food processor, or mash them by hand. Add the pistachio or almond extract, coconut milk, bananas, maple syrup or honey, and sea salt, and process until creamy, whipped and well blended. You may whisk the ingredients together as well, if necessary.
- Serve in individual bowls. Garnish with chopped pistachios.
Just a couple things, I used almond extract (which is mentioned as an option in the book) because I couldn’t find pistachio extract anywhere. Anyone know where you can find that stuff? I also forgot to buy pistachios at the store, so I used sliced almonds instead, but it went well with the almond extract. On top of our individual servings, I also put some unsweetened coconut flakes. Jesse really loves chocolate and I can’t have chocolate or cocoa powder right now because of adhering to the SCD (specific carbohydrate diet), so I scooped some separately for him and mixed in some cocoa powder and a touch more honey, so the chocolate wouldn’t taste too bitter. Diane does have a moo-less chocolate mousse recipe in the book too and the recipe is similar to the pistachio, except for the following changes/additions:
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cacao powder
- 2-4 Tbsp coconut milk (instead of 1/4 cup in the pistachio)
- 1 ripe banana (optional in this recipe)
- 1-4 Tbsp maple syrup or softened honey
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (instead of pistachio or almond extract)
- Pinch of cinnamon