Officially Addicted to Practical Paleo

It’s true … I am officially addicted to Diane Sanfilippo’s book, Practical Paleo, and all its wonderful recipes. Seriously, I can’t stop cooking from it, and I want to try everything! I think I’ve made seven different recipes now (and counting) and will be making yet another tonight. At least this is a healthy addiction to have, right? Plus, it’s refreshing to have some new and easy, not to mention delicious, recipes to try. I can honestly say that I’ll be cooking a lot of my dinners from this book for a while, so you’ll probably see many more reviews. Maybe I’ll do a photo recap post of everything I’ve made from her book. It may convince you to go out and buy it if you haven’t already!

I whipped up Hayley’s Skirt Steak Tacos from the book the other night, but made it as a salad instead. This is a matter of chopping the lettuce versus using lettuce wraps. I like using lettuce as a wrap, but on this particular night, Jesse and I decided we wanted to eat it as a salad. Here’s the recipe, as printed in Practical Paleo:

Hayley’s Skirt Steak Tacos

• Juice and zest of one lime
  • 1 clove garlic, grated or finely minced
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1-1 1/2 lb skirt steak
  • Sea salt and black pepper to taste
  • I head bib, butter or Boston lettuce

Taco Toppers

• 2 dozen cherry tomatoes, halved (or one large tomato chopped into 1-inch pieces)
  • 1 avocado, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Directions:

1. Gently separate the lettuce leaves and rinse. Set aside to dry.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the lime juice, zest, garlic and chili powder. Place the skirt steak in the bowl and massage the seasonings into it. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste
  3. Grill for approximately 3 minutes per side. Set the cooked steak aside to rest for 10 minutes, then slice against the grain into small strips. You may want to divide the skirt steak into two or three sections before slicing, as it is typically very long.
  4. Serve the steak, tomatoes, cilantro and avocado in your lettuce leaves. (Alternatively, you can chop the lettuce and mix all the toppings and meat in a bowl to make a salad, as I did).
Skirt steak on the grill
Skirt steak on the grill.
Almost too pretty to eat!
Almost too pretty to eat!
Hayley's skirt steak tacos (turned salad)
Hayley’s skirt steak tacos, turned into a salad.

9 thoughts on “Officially Addicted to Practical Paleo

1. Almond Oats. August 30, 2012 / 10:39 am

This does look delicious! I’ve never worked with skirt steak before but you make it look easy haha.

• paleoinpdx August 30, 2012 / 10:44 am

Oh my gosh, skirt steak is the easiest thing ever … no joke! I’m confident you can handle it. It cooks super fast, even in a skillet (only a few minutes each side). It’s delicious with just salt and pepper on it too, cooked with a little olive oil in a pan.

2. Shonnie August 31, 2012 / 11:57 am

I’m gonna try this one too. I will come back and reblogg it later. hahaha … cuz that is the best way for me to remember what I wanted to try.

• paleoinpdx August 31, 2012 / 11:59 am

Whatever works for ya 😉

3. Naz Kovacs September 5, 2012 / 9:01 pm

Oh I want that book so bad! Was eyeing it off on Amazon last night and will definitely be ordering it very soon! This recipe looks amazing, must try it soon 🙂

• paleoinpdx September 5, 2012 / 9:17 pm

I highly recommend it and I promise you’ll have no regrets buying it!

• Naz Kovacs September 5, 2012 / 9:18 pm

I’m sure I won’t, can’t wait to get my hands on it 🙂

4. Brandyn Miller September 6, 2012 / 6:10 pm

Couldn’t agree more, I’m completely addicted! I actually just reserved my spot for a seminar with Diane in Nj in a few weeks, I can’t wait.

• paleoinpdx September 6, 2012 / 6:33 pm

Nice, Brandon! I was fortunate to go to one of Diane’s book signings and Q&A sessions a couple weekends ago. She’s wonderful, as you can imagine! Next weekend, I’m going to one of Sarah Fragoso’s workshops, which I’m pretty stoked about. Her cookbook, Everyday Paleo has some great recipes in it, and her second book just came out, but I haven’t seen it yet. Have you checked it out, by chance?