Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Gravy

Slow cooker roast chicken and gravy with mashed purple cauliflower and roasted green beans.

I’ve been in the habit of roasting whole chickens in my slow cooker lately because well, it’s easy, tastes good and I love having the bones leftover for bone broth. My chicken always turns out delicious, but sometimes it cooks for too long and all just falls off the bones, turning into shredded chicken. It still tastes great and is super moist, but when roasting a whole chicken, I prefer the pieces to stay together, so I can cut slices and whatnot. Normally I don’t really go off of any recipes too much when roasting a chicken, but this time I opted for one, and decided to try Nom Nom Paleo’s slow cooker roast chicken and gravy.

Oh my gosh … this recipe … and the gravy, my oh my, the gravy! It is the icing on the cake and turns this dinner into the ultimate comfort meal. I could eat spoonfuls of this stuff (and I did!). I think it’s the best — not to mention easiest — gravy I’ve ever tasted. Plus, it gave me a reason to use my gravy boat. I love my gravy boat. I inherited it from my mother after she got a new set of dishes a couple years ago. It’s from the set of dishes that I grew up with — white CorningWare with green flowers.

Anyway, I stuck pretty close to Nom Nom Paleo’s recipe, but used regular poultry seasoning on my bird and went with the entire tablespoon of tomato paste in the sautéed mixture (for more umami as Michelle says). I also used homemade bone broth for my stock and in place of the wine since I didn’t have any dry white wine on hand. I served the chicken and gravy with mashed purple cauliflower and grass-fed butter, and green beans roasted with grass-fed ghee. Gravy went over everything and I topped multiple more spoonfuls on my meal as I devoured it!

Sautéed whole garlic, onions, tomato paste and bone broth. This will be used to make the gravy later on.
The gravy ... oh my, the gravy!
The gravy … oh my, the gravy! Note: those aren’t lumps, they’re bubbles. The gravy is very smooth.
The smell of the meal drew this neighborhood alley cat (Jesse and I call her Mallory) out and she was meowing and begging like crazy! Another kitty came out too and I had to act fast, so they wouldn’t come after my meal!
Pacing because the aroma was making her crazy!
Pacing because the aroma was making her crazy!
Definitely a colorful meal!

21 thoughts on “Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Gravy

1. Cinnamoneats October 4, 2012 / 10:13 am

Yum yum yum! That looks amazing! I’m so happy I have a slow cooker now lol. That purple cauliflower looks good too…. shame I haven’t seen anything like it here! Nom Nom Paleo has so many great recipes it’s hard to decide what to make first!

• paleoinpdx October 4, 2012 / 3:32 pm

Yes, it’s a must try now that you have a slow cooker!

2. EverdayLivingPNW October 4, 2012 / 11:01 am

Nummy that looks good…I will have to try this sometime. I think I just have to keep our site bookmarked and start from the start!

• paleoinpdx October 4, 2012 / 3:33 pm

It tastes SO good! Seriously, it’s all about the gravy.

3. Shonnie October 4, 2012 / 12:11 pm

trying to get over the purple mash cauli. I would still have to try it even though … the looks of it make me nervous. Sounds really good. Gotta try the gravy too. 😀 Thanks for sharing.

• paleoinpdx October 4, 2012 / 3:31 pm

Haha, it tastes the same! I think it’s pretty 🙂

• Shonnie October 4, 2012 / 7:58 pm

It probably is prettier in person and you have smelled the wonderful smells and tasted the wonderful tastes.

• paleoinpdx October 4, 2012 / 9:02 pm

True. I also like the color purple 😉

• Shonnie October 4, 2012 / 9:04 pm

🙂

4. Corrie Anne October 4, 2012 / 10:25 pm

Neighborhood kittens are the best kind. Gravy sounds so good!!

• paleoinpdx October 5, 2012 / 8:47 am

I agree! We have so many cats in our neighborhood, it’s crazy. They’re often in our backyard or on our deck. We like to call it cat alley 🙂

5. Sarah Bosse October 4, 2012 / 10:57 pm

Dear goodness! A gravy that’s SCD legal and does NOT have nut flour – YAY! I’m so going to make this recipe this week. I can’t do cauli but wow…that’s some majorly PURPLE cauli I must say!!!!

Gutsy Girl

• paleoinpdx October 5, 2012 / 8:49 am

I know, isn’t it amazing? I love that there’s no nut flour in it as well. I try to limit my intake of those. Yes, the cauliflower is very purple :).

6. Rhiarti October 8, 2012 / 1:17 pm

Oh, that looks like heaven! Love the purple cauliflower too – what a fabulous colour!

• paleoinpdx October 8, 2012 / 1:26 pm

I know, the purple cauliflower is pretty fantastic, isn’t it?

7. Pingback: Easy Paleo Cooking