Kitchen Wish List

Naturally, I have a kitchen wish list and it’s actually a bit longer than what you see below (I just chose highlights). I’m sure you do too, especially if you enjoy cooking and spend as much time in the kitchen as I do. I don’t see myself buying any of these things in the near future because nearly all of them cost a pretty penny, but a girl can dream, right? In a perfect world, I’d already own all these kitchen tools. Do you have any of the things on my wish list? If so, do you think it’s a worthy investment? Also, I’m curious to know what’s on your kitchen wish list.

Le Creuset 4-1/2 quart round French oven. Hella expensive (almost $300), but an investment that will last a lifetime. These things are solid!
JA Henckels knife set. I have a large chopping knife and some paring knives, but it’d be awesome to have a whole set and these are a lot sharper than what I have!
Le Creuset 10-1/4 inch cast iron skillet. Note, these are actually on sale right now!
A mandoline slicer, so I can cut perfectly even, thin layers of various fruits and vegetables. This would be especially helpful when making zucchini lasagna noodles.
Cusinart 14-cup food processor. Yes, I actually already have a food processor, but it’s only a 4-cup one and I’ve really been giving it a run for its money. Seriously, I work this thing hard … probably too hard! I have a Vitamix too, but there are some things a food processor is just better for.
A nice granite or marble mortar and pestle. I’ve always admired these things, but have never had the chance to use one. It’d be awesome for grinding my own spices and herbs, along with various other things.
A beautiful, thick wooden or bamboo slab cutting board.

18 thoughts on “Kitchen Wish List

1. Brandyn Miller October 18, 2012 / 2:10 pm

I’ve been looking for a good mortar & pestle set myself!

2. Healthy A-Z October 18, 2012 / 3:20 pm

Great choices.I’m looking for a good quality mandoline.

• paleoinpdx October 18, 2012 / 4:51 pm

Good to know. I’m sure these things will make their way into my kitchen at some point, but if I’m buying them for myself, it definitely won’t happen all at once. Spendy!

3. Cinnamoneats October 18, 2012 / 6:47 pm

Ummm try working in a cookware store where you get 40% off! I have already spent so much money on kitchen stuff and the problem is I don’t even know how long I’m going to be here for. I have a lot of things on my kitchen wish list as well but then I keep saying to myself what will I do with all this stuff when it comes time to go?

Looking at your list I also want a mandolin. Right now I’m really wanting this one: http://www.amazon.com/OXO-SteeL-Chefs-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B003L0OP1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350611088&sr=8-1&keywords=oxo+stainless+steel+mandoline

and this Kitchenaid food processor:

I have a mortar and pestle but I never use it! It’s there as a decoration lol.

• Cinnamoneats October 18, 2012 / 6:48 pm

Oops my comment came out a bit funny!

• paleoinpdx October 18, 2012 / 9:21 pm

Oh my goodness, working in a cookware store would be dangerous territory! I suppose it’d also be a great opportunity to stock up though! I agree that mortar and pestles also make good decorations. I’d probably use mine as both. Mortar and pestles remind me of my grandma and grandpa’s house too because for as long as I can remember, they’ve had one on display in their kitchen. I’m not sure if my grandma actually even uses it or not.

• Cinnamoneats October 18, 2012 / 9:29 pm

It is very dangerous! I justify it with the ‘but I get 40% off’ but it all adds up in the end! I feel like a mortar and pestle is hard work lol, you could do the same thing in a food processor for much less effort. I think I’ve only ever seen people use them as decorations except for Jamie Oliver haha.

• paleoinpdx October 19, 2012 / 9:12 am

I can understand that because I used to work at lululemon. Even with a generous discount, your paycheck goes pretty fast! Makes it hard to save any money! True about the food processor too, but I love the traditional idea of a mortar and pestle.

4. Shonnie October 18, 2012 / 6:48 pm

You got a great list there. I love my le creuset stock pot. The Le Creuset 10-1/4 inch cast iron skillet–I have not enjoyed. It sticks BAD. Love my mandolin–splerged on that one — LOVE LOVE LOVE. 😀

• paleoinpdx October 18, 2012 / 9:18 pm

Good to know, especially about the skillet. Part of what attracts me to Le Creuset anything is all the pretty, bright colors. Thanks for your input!

• Cinnamoneats October 18, 2012 / 9:26 pm

I like Le Creuset in terms of the way it looks but it’s so damn heavy! Even Staub which is another French brand we carry in the store is nice but again HEAVY! If I had to get one piece of Le Creuset it would just be the French Oven that you’ve listed above. In terms of skillets and what not I prefer things like Scanpan that aren’t so hard to carry lol.

• paleoinpdx October 19, 2012 / 9:09 am

Yes, that’s because it’s all solid cast iron! I’m okay with it being heavy — tells you how sturdy it is 😉

• Shonnie October 19, 2012 / 8:40 am

I love the colors too! I have bright green ones, organge , yellow, and red. I was so dissapointed with the skillet. Wish they would just coat the bottom and leave it like a regular cast iron where you can season it. 😀 Then–all my worries would be over. I have induction cooktop–so Le Creuset are wonderful for cooking on that. 🙂

5. paleoinpdx October 19, 2012 / 9:10 am

I didn’t know Le Creuset pans couldn’t be seasoned … good to know!

6. girlmeetspaleo October 20, 2012 / 8:16 pm

I’m dying for a lé creuset Dutch oven! Only I want an oval one- heard they’re better for fitting chickens and big roasts 🙂 I got a pretty good one from jc penneys for only 60 bucks! Heavy, bright, and cooks great! LOVE my bamboo board, I think a mandolin slicer is next on my list !

• paleoinpdx October 20, 2012 / 9:05 pm

Maybe I should change the round Dutch oven on my list to oval then … it’d be handy to use for roasts and such, as you mentioned. I’ll have to check out JcPenney’s Dutch oven because that sounds like an awesome deal! Thanks 🙂