Thanksgiving Decisions: A Recipe Round-up

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, I’ve been contemplating what to make. The turkey is a given and in fact, this is the first time I’ll be preparing a whole turkey. I’m a tad intimidated, yet excited. I’m most excited because it’s a local, pasture-raised turkey. Since it’ll only be Jesse and me for dinner, I reserved a petite one (6 – 9.99 lbs) versus a small one, which range a bit bigger. I realize, I now need to get a roasting pan because I do not have one. Luckily, it’s a little turkey, so I won’t need anything gigantic. Meanwhile, if you have any great recipes or suggestions for Thanksgiving turkey, please share! Like I said, this will be a new experience for me, so I’m open to recommendations and advice.

So, I’ve got my bird, but what do I pair it this year? With recipe options like these below, how does one choose? I can’t make them all, but everything looks so good! I’ll probably stick with a classic, crustless pumpkin pie (I use the SCD recipe from the book, Breaking the Vicious Cycle, but cut use less honey). Jesse and I love this recipe! I serve it with homemade 24-hour half-and-half yogurt (as our “whipped cream”). I also know I’ll be making my mom’s spiced cranberry relish. Other than this, I can’t make up my mind. Also, the recipes I included here are only skimming the surface. I’ve come across so many wonderful recipes, but this post will be miles long if I include them all.

*Click on each image to find the recipe.

Acorn squash roasted in bacon fat from Katie Did.
Broccoli apple salad from FastPaleo. A delicious way to use homemade mayo, which I conveniently have right now.
Thanksgiving savory bacon butternut squash souffle from PaleOMG.
This raw pumpkin pie recipe from Sweetly Raw sounds really good. I’m tempted to try a different dessert, but I love the pumpkin pie and yogurt combo I make.
Grain-free stuffing from The Detoxinista. I’d sub something else for the parsnips because they are SCD-illegal. Too bad … parsnips are so good.
For something refreshing, an apple and fennel salad with bacon vinaigrette from Eat Nourishing.
Green beans with bacon and mushrooms from A Girl Worth Saving.
Bacon pecan brussel sprouts from PaleOMG.
Squash with cherries from Elana’s Pantry.
Okay, this pecan pie from Modern Paleo Warfare looks awesome too. I’d just sub raw honey in place of the maple to make it SCD-friendly.
Holy cow … butternut squash with spiced honey marshmallows (homemade!) from The Urban Poser. This would be more like dessert to me than a side, as I’ve never been one to eat or make the classic marshmallow-topped sweet potatoes. I’m really intrigued by these homemade marshmallows. Will I be making these though? Probably not, especially because it’s just Jesse and me. This recipe needs to be shared!
Kale with cranberries from Elana’s Pantry. *Use unsweetened or apple juice sweetened cranberries here.
Roasted butternut squash with kale and almond pecan parmesan from Oh She Glows. If I make this, I’ll ditch the nutritional yeast … I detest that stuff. I think it tastes horrible. Plus, it’s not SCD-friendly.
Cauliflower and leek mash with bacon from Rubies & Radishes.
Kale, apple and pancetta salad from Serious Eats. Sub honey for maple syrup to make it SCD-friendly.

23 thoughts on “Thanksgiving Decisions: A Recipe Round-up

1. Cinnamoneats November 15, 2012 / 10:23 am

Oh wow what a recipe line up! We don’t celebrate thanksgiving and the only time I’ve ever eaten a whole turkey was at Christmas time in Australia when my aunty would cook it for lunch, never attempted it myself so no words of wisdom here but good luck! Some of these recipes look so good though so I’m going to bookmark them and save them for later 🙂

2. Mary Catherine November 15, 2012 / 10:38 am

My mouth is watering and my head is spinning just looking at all these recipes. Seriously, so many super delicous choices out there! Thanks for putting together this collection of ideas!

I always like the ones that are super easy and still tasty.

• paleoinpdx November 15, 2012 / 10:59 am

I know … there’s almost too many delicious choices out there! I guess whatever I don’t make for Thanksgiving, I can make for Christmas!

3. Primal Smoke November 15, 2012 / 11:26 am

That is the problem with the internet….too many recipes to choose from.

4. Tammy November 15, 2012 / 12:31 pm

What time’s dinner?

• paleoinpdx November 15, 2012 / 1:21 pm

Haha, I actually wish I was having guests, Tammy! Nearly all my family (and my partner’s) lives in Michigan and our friends do other things. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice with just the two of us, but it feels so wonderful to share Thanksgiving with more people.

5. Megan November 16, 2012 / 10:39 am

Did you see the chive and bacon sweet potato biscuits on PaleOMG. I forwarded the recipe to my dad (visiting the parentals for gobble day) and demanded he make them. Everything in this post looks so good AND I love you are directing us to their sites, new paleo sites!! weee!!!

• paleoinpdx November 16, 2012 / 10:40 am

I did see those, but I can’t eat sweet potatoes. I suppose I could try the recipe with squash or pumpkin though. I’m glad you’re enjoying my recipe round-up! Yes, there’s lots of great recipes and sites out there!

6. Kelly Bejelly November 19, 2012 / 8:46 am

Yum! I seriously am going to stuff myself on Thursday. I have been so curious about making marshmallows but slightly afraid to try since I will probably like them too much 🙂 Thank you for sharing my recipe!

• paleoinpdx November 19, 2012 / 9:19 am

I know, I’ll be doing the same thing! I hear ya on the marshmallows too … whenever I do decide to try them, I need to have a crowd to share them with! Glad to share your recipe — thanks for creating it 😉

7. Shonnie November 20, 2012 / 3:29 pm

Totally love you for sharing all these wonderful ideas. 🙂

• paleoinpdx November 20, 2012 / 6:20 pm

Awww, you are very sweet, Shonnie — thank you. I’m glad you dig the recipe ideas!

• Shonnie November 20, 2012 / 7:27 pm

I do. I do! 😀 I have some kicking around in my head and I love being able to bounce off others successful ideas.

8. Lafemmeroar November 20, 2012 / 7:47 pm

The roasted butternut squash looks really good 🙂

• paleoinpdx November 20, 2012 / 8:21 pm

Ditto! I’m not making it for Thanksgiving because I opted for something else, but I will be trying it at some point soon!

9. countingducks November 21, 2012 / 8:17 am

Found you through Shonnie. Among other weaknesses, I am a failed dieter. Now I’m gone beyond hungry and I’m feeling greedy. I want some of this stuff now !

• paleoinpdx November 21, 2012 / 8:52 am

I’m glad Shonnie could introduce us and thanks for checking out my blog! The great thing about eating this way is that it’s sustainable and a lifestyle, which separates it from a diet. Additionally, it’s enjoyable and helps and heals a lot of ailments. I hope you get a chance to try some of the recipes 🙂