Thanksgiving Dinner Prep

All my turkey essentials. I’ve received some great tips from fellow bloggers and my followers. I’m collaborating a couple ideas. Thanks for the help! Grass-fed butter, sea salt and pepper will also be involved in the turkey roasting. Oh, and foil too!

I officially have everything I need to make my Thanksgiving dinner. I convinced Jesse to come to New Seasons with me this morning to pick up the local, pasture-raised turkey I reserved, along with all the turkey roasting essentials I was missing. We were happy to receive a petite 8.42 pounder — my first turkey ever! I’ll be putting it in its brine bag either tonight or tomorrow with New Seasons’s homemade brine (consists of Willamette Valley chardonnay, sea salt, bay leaves and black pepper). Meanwhile, I’ve been busy doing other Thanksgiving prep — my 24-hour half-and-half yogurt is culturing as we speak (the topping for our pumpkin pie), I made a batch of regular whole milk 24-hour yogurt over the weekend (need some for the pie itself), roasted my sugar pie pumpkin for the pumpkin puree, blended it in the food processor and let it drain for 24 hours to get the water out. Tomorrow, I will make the cranberries, assemble and bake the pie, and possibly prep some of the vegetables (wash and trim the brussel sprouts and green beans). I’ll be roasting the brussel sprouts and tossing them with bacon bits, and the green beans will be served with shallots and chantrelle mushrooms. We’re also having mashed buttercup squash. I contemplated a cold salad, but it’s getting to be a lot of food and it’s just the two of us, so I think I need to stop! I do have kale and the other essentials to make the salad I was thinking about though. Chances are, I’ll call it good.

Into the oven.
After roasting, pureeing and draining, the pumpkin puree is complete and ready for use.

Have you been doing things advance to make your life easier on Thanksgiving? What are your best practices and tips?

16 thoughts on “Thanksgiving Dinner Prep

1. PaleoPeriodical November 20, 2012 / 10:52 am

What a cute little gobbler! Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

• paleoinpdx November 20, 2012 / 11:22 am

Thanks, you too! And thanks again for the tips — much appreciated!

2. Mary Catherine November 20, 2012 / 11:45 am

Alisa — I loved you Thanksgiving round up and now you have some good looking meals prepped!

I should introduce you to my sister and her husband who live in Portland and also do a Thanksgiving-for-two!

• paleoinpdx November 20, 2012 / 6:18 pm

Thanks, I’m glad you found it helpful! I’d love to meet your sister sometime 🙂

3. Cinnamoneats November 20, 2012 / 12:22 pm

Oh wow looks like you’re all set! Looking forward to reading about how it all goes 🙂 Happy thanksgiving!

• paleoinpdx November 20, 2012 / 6:19 pm

Yep, I’m pretty darn excited too 🙂

4. Shonnie November 20, 2012 / 3:05 pm

looks like you are getting it all ready. I am in the process of starting the same meal prep. 🙂

• paleoinpdx November 20, 2012 / 6:19 pm

Prep in advance is key! There’s still so much to do on the day of, but it makes it way less stressful and chaotic!

• Shonnie November 20, 2012 / 7:28 pm

so true. Tomorrow to brine the bird! 🙂

• paleoinpdx November 20, 2012 / 7:32 pm

That makes two of us!

5. Emily November 20, 2012 / 8:05 pm

Just got my Champoeg bird at New Season’s today. I’m doing a dry brine with it and preparing that tonight. SCD/Paleo sides will include my Gram’s recipe for Dutch Red Cabbage, Green Bean Casserole with shallots, sweet and savory stuffing, “candied” butternut squash, cranberry sauce, fauxtatoes and dessert will be pumpkin pie of course! Yes, prep is so key!

• paleoinpdx November 20, 2012 / 8:20 pm

Awesome, sounds delicious! My bird is from the same farm. I love the Champoeg Farms pastured eggs too — I always buy those. What do you do for the “candied” butternut squash? I’m intrigued. Dates, honey, maybe pecans?

6. cavemanmodernwoman November 21, 2012 / 11:42 am

Looks amazing! We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving in Abu Dhabi but I’m already thinking about Chistmas dinner! Last year we took a syringe and injected the turkey half way through roasting with it’s own juices! Such a moist bird!! (And super fun too)

• paleoinpdx November 21, 2012 / 2:43 pm

Wow, I didn’t know you could do that, but then again, I’ve never roasted a whole turkey! Luckily, Christmas isn’t too far away, so you’ll get to have your feast soon too!

• paleoinpdx November 25, 2012 / 7:11 pm

Nice! I thought the brine was delicious too — it left some awesome wine flavors on the turkey. I’d use it again in a heartbeat!