First off, to my dear friend who is eliminating all sugar this week (except fruit), you may not want to read or look at this. I’m sorry, I don’t mean to wave temptation in front of you, and it’s total coincidence that I’m posting this the day after your sugar elimination was defined! Just know, this recipe will be here down the road and it’s not going anywhere. There’s plenty of time to try it later on!
Anyway, I realized I hadn’t posted a treat recipe in a while and had actually been hanging on to this one. I’ve tried to cut back on the amount of treats I post because, well, I don’t always like having this stuff around either. It doesn’t matter that it’s paleo-friendly folks…it’s still a treat and still contains sugar (honey, in my case). As my friend, Laura, quoted, “treats are sometimes foods.” Bingo.
The thing that makes these cookies particularly special is the HOMEMADE CHOCOLATE CHIPS! Yes, you read that right…homemade chocolate chips! I don’t eat store-bought chocolate chips, even the Enjoy Life brand, because they contain sugar other than honey. I’ve learned that my system does fine with cocoa powder and unsweetened chocolate in moderation, but I’m not interested in testing other SCD-illegal things, like sugars (honey is the only SCD-legal sweetener). I don’t need or want it, and it probably wouldn’t make me feel very good.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs, preferably pasture-raised
- 2-3 Tbsp raw honey
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp melted grass-fed butter, ghee or coconut oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup homemade chocolate chips (see below)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonslip baking mat.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together (except chocolate chips) in a large bowl. Set aside
- In a small bowl, beat together the eggs, honey, butter and vanilla. Stir wet ingredients into dry, mixing well.
- Add chocolate chips and mix to incorporate into the dough.
- Drop dough onto baking sheet with a tablespoon (mine were heaping tablespoon-sized). Space appropriately and if need be, split batter between two baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until light brown. Let cool on a wire rack once done.
- Enjoy with a glass of almond or coconut milk, if desired.
Yields: ~ 16 cookies
For the homemade chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 squares unsweetened baking chocolate (or you can omit and use 1/2 cup cocoa powder)
- 1.5 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2.5 Tbsp raw honey
- Combine all ingredients together in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Mix together with a whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Line an 8×8 pan (or baking sheet) with parchment paper. Pour mixture onto parchment paper and place pan in the freezer to set.
- Freeze for 2-3 hours or until completely hard. Once set, break into chunks with a knife. Store chocolate chips in the freezer, until ready to use. These can be used just like regular chocolate chips.