Weekend Recap and Highlights

Homework, writing and reading. That’s the summary of my weekend. In fact, I was so worn out on Saturday after being at it all day, that I missed out on girl’s night with some of my co-workers from Recreate and other great ladies that workout there. I just didn’t have the energy for it, and knew that I needed my focus to roll over into Sunday. Luckily, I did have some fun Friday night and got a lot done this weekend, which was critical.

On Friday, Jesse and I went out with an old college friend of mine from Michigan. We met when we were both 18 years old, attending Eastern Michigan University in the interior design program, which will be 10 years ago this August. Anyway, she was here visiting with her husband and asked if we wanted to get together. Naturally, I said yes. We met at the Mission Theater for drinks and then watched the newest episode of Portlandia, which the theater airs every Friday night. You may have seen this when I posted it on my Facebook page, but here’s one of my favorite clips from the new season called, fart patio. Part of why I think it’s so funny, is because as a former vegetarian and vegan, I can totally relate! I’ve even eaten at the cafe they’re at in the clip, which has a lot of unique things on their menu — all vegan, mostly raw and nearly all gluten-free. I don’t really go there anymore, but if I do, I get a fresh green juice. They have some really tasty ones to choose from.

After watching Portlandia, we walked across the street and ate Thai food and drank hot Thai tea at Sweet Basil Thai. I ordered a gluten-free red curry with chicken, no rice. It was delicious. It felt so good to get out, see an old friend and laugh. I hadn’t laughed that hard in a while. My two glasses of wine didn’t sit super well with me, even though I chose something dry, but I still had a great time and didn’t let it hold me back. It was the first drink I’ve had since New Year’s eve. I’m not much of a drinker — usually just at holidays and when I go out with friends.

On Sunday, I worked in the morning, then went to a coffee shop afterward to pump out some more work. Then, I came home and got some 24-hour yogurt started, along with a batch of bone broth. I also made a tasty, creamy beverage that I’m hoping to post later this week, so stay tuned! Meanwhile, this week’s chaos has already begun. I worked out at Recreate this morning, came home, am off to school shortly and then after school, I head out to Clackamas Physical Conditioning with my friend for our weekly appointment with Jason Seib. I get my advanced copy of Jason’s book today and am so excited to start digging in!

How was your weekend? Did you do anything fun or cook up anything delicious?

10 thoughts on “Weekend Recap and Highlights

1. Elizabeth February 4, 2013 / 9:37 am

That clip was awesome! I have no idea how they can go on and on like that without laughing. How fun to live there and to recognize the places where they film.

2. paleoinpdx February 4, 2013 / 10:00 am

I know, it’s hilarious, isn’t it? That’s one of my favorite things about watching the show…recognizing all the places. Obviously, I love the humor too and the things they make fun of about Portland are so true!

3. Cinnamoneats February 4, 2013 / 10:17 am

Wow sounds like you had a busy but productive weekend! Ohhh you are soooo lucky to be getting an advanced copy of Jason’s book! I wish it would have been released before I left but sadly not… oh well I will have to buy it from over there even though it will cost double as much lol. How are your sessions with him going anyway? I’m looking forward to hearing more about it!

• Cinnamoneats February 4, 2013 / 10:18 am

Oh and as for my weekend, ended up cooking a big batch of grass-fed ground beef and the last of our veggies to last us these next few days. Getting last minute things done before we leave!

• paleoinpdx February 4, 2013 / 5:26 pm

The sessions are going well. He’s not training me, actually, but we’re working on a project together with a friend of mine that I recruited. I’m hesitant to give too many details because it’s in the early stages and also, it’s research for Jason, so I don’t want to blab until it seems appropriate. We all meet together once per week right now. I look forward to and enjoy it every Monday 🙂

Yeah, things are getting down to the wire for you now, hey? I’m so excited for you and hope the move goes well, with as little stress as possible!

• Cinnamoneats February 5, 2013 / 10:28 am

Oh fair enough! Sounds like you’re enjoying it 🙂 Yep tomorrow is the big day! All I can say is thank goodness our flight is at night! The last minute stuff is the worst 😐

• paleoinpdx February 5, 2013 / 10:00 pm

Yes, I’m enjoying it very much! It kinda blows my mind every week that I get to go and hang out with Jason. Really cool though!

I agree, last minute stuff is the worst and often stressful. Again, best of luck with everything and remember to breathe!

4. grokgrub February 4, 2013 / 7:59 pm

Wow, thanks for the literal laugh out loud. That clip is priceless.
    I attended a free Crossfit class this Saturday, then hit the trail for 7 miles, as the CF workout was more arms than legs (I’ve heard Paleo people discourage distance running, as it provokes a “stress response”. Thoughts?). I really, really liked it, however, and signed up for a beginner’s series of classes this morning.

• paleoinpdx February 5, 2013 / 10:09 pm

Absolutely! I appreciate a good laugh and am happy to share the opportunity to do so.

You know, I’ve never been a big fan of running because I just plain out don’t enjoy it. I prefer walking and hiking, but don’t mind running/jogging when it’s involved in a circuit during a workout (i.e. running around the block as part of a workout) because it’s only a short period of time. I also enjoy sprints. I’m not going to tell you either way, especially if you really enjoy running, but rather, encourage you to do some research on your own. I think it’s good to be cautious about it, but you can decide that for yourself 😉