Food Log Assignment Update

Nutrition
Nutrition (Photo credit: The Noun Project)

Remember my nutrition food log assignment I told you about? Well, it’s still going on and the rest of the assignment is due today. I ended up being partners with this fabulous 54-year old woman, who is familiar with the concept behind paleo and has similar beliefs as me regarding food. I admit, it would’ve been fun and entertaining to be partners with someone who doesn’t know about paleo and follows the SAD, but I guess it wasn’t meant to be this time around. Anyway, my partner was not flabbergasted by my food log, whereas most people following a SAD would be. In case you’re wondering, for my three days, my macros were about 55-56% fat (mostly saturated type), 25% protein and 20% carbs (all from veggies and some fruit).

Anyway, my partner used to weigh 300 lbs and lost 100 lbs eating a high-fat, low-carb diet. She said her primary care doctor (she also sees a naturopath) didn’t understand why her blood levels and everything were so great when she switched to eating this way (because of all the fat), but told her to keep it up since it was clearly working. She ate this way for four years, but now, eats a little bit of grains, but not much. She avoids gluten, nightshades (aggravates her RA) and most dairy, aside from pasture butter.

Part of the assignment included us writing a one-day meal plan for each other, based on goals, deficiencies (I wasn’t deficient in any vitamins or minerals…exceeded the RDI for every one!), around a certain event, etc. We could create it the way we wanted to. Anyway, she asked me to create a one-day paleo plan for her to support her activities. She’s a distance runner and for this whole year, she made the goal of running a half marathon every month, which she has done so far. There is one little caveat though, she doesn’t eat a lot of meat and wanted my paleo plan for her to be vegetarian-ish. I still put a little bit of meat and eggs on her plan because she does eat some, but had to be mindful of what and how much I chose. Her plan was paleo-inspired, but tweaked to meet her needs. Paleo can be tough for distance runners, but is doable if one really pays attention to their diet and stays on top of things. That means lots of high-quality carbs, like sweet potatoes, yams, winter squashes, pumpkin, etc. For the really intense crowd, Amy Kubal, a paleo RD on Robb Wolf’s team, says that things like skinless white potatoes, white rice and corn tortillas can be helpful, in addition to starchy veggies and fruit. In this case, there must not be any autoimmune issues though.

People running at the 2007 20 kilometer road r...
(Photo credit: Wikipedia)

To quote Jason Seib, from this week’s Everyday Paleo Lifestyle & Fitness podcast, “It’s hard to do complete paleo [with distance running] because distance running is a less than ideal situation.” Jason says that taking something like distance running, which is unnatural by nature, and mixing it with paleo, which is natural, can be tough.

On a side note, I’ll be curious to see the paleo plan my partner made for me. I told her to create it around a day of air travel and account for little activity that day, since it’d involve a lot of sitting. She liked the idea and said it made things easier for her. I’ll be sure to share her meal plan for me, so stay tuned!

14 thoughts on “Food Log Assignment Update

1. Nikki March 7, 2013 / 6:14 am

Great idea- looking forward to see what she comes up with for day of travel, since this was my recent gripe!

• paleoinpdx March 7, 2013 / 7:00 am

Usually I do okay when traveling (I pack stuff), but I thought it’d make things a little easier for her!

2. Megan March 7, 2013 / 6:21 am

I don’t classify myself as a distance runner because I only log one double digit run a week but I do run 5x a week and because of that I typically eat 1/2 a small sweet potato a day with my breakfast (my work outs are around 10:30 / 11). I find that on Sunday when I do my long run I definitely hit a wall big time and depending on what I eat before plays a huge difference. If I am out of sweet potatoes and just go out on a stomach of eggs and a banana I hit a wall much sooner. My number one choice for pre runs are AMRAP bars, those thing can push me through a 13 mile run so well it amazes me. There are definitely options out there!

• paleoinpdx March 7, 2013 / 6:59 am

Yep, that’s because you burn through your glycogen stores, which for something like running, your body depends on, particularly for runs longer than 60 minutes. I agree, there’s definitely options…you just gotta stay on top of things! In her plan, I included lots of starchy veggies and a little more fruit to keep her fueled. I’m not familiar with AMRAP bars, but things like Larabars can be helpful during a long race.

• Megan March 7, 2013 / 7:11 am

I’ve started making my own date/fig bars and they are great for quick sugar. AMRAP is a almond based bar and it’s fabulous, 100% paleo too.

3. Shonnie March 7, 2013 / 8:48 am

I always pack stuff, but sometimes you just have things pop up and no planning time. Can’t wait to see it.

4. Naz (@CinnamonEats) March 7, 2013 / 10:22 am

That’s interesting that you got paired up with someone who knows about paleo… I must admit though I was hoping you’d be with someone eating SAD and seeing how that went 🙂 Still I think building a meal plan according to your day of travel and her running sound very interesting. Looking forward to seeing how that all comes together! Travel is a tough one if you’re not prepared for sure!

• paleoinpdx March 7, 2013 / 2:00 pm

I know, it would’ve been really entertaining!

5. Rachel March 11, 2013 / 8:36 am

Chuckled at your characterization of very limited meat as “one little caveat”.

• paleoinpdx March 11, 2013 / 8:39 am

Haha, I know…it’s more than a little caveat. It’s more like a big caveat!

6. Alisa March 12, 2013 / 4:10 pm

Glad you got put with someone who at least kinda understands instead of a crazy fruitarian or something =). I also love to see “non-traditional” ways of eating exceeding daily nutrient levels.

People assume paleo/low carb means all you eat is fat/meat…I love to show people my salad trough and all the healthy fats I eat…hello avocados.