Funny Confessions

I deemed it time for more funny confessions. I had a lot of fun with this last time and hopefully, learning a bit more about me and my quirks is entertaining for you too. Enjoy and happy Thursday!

1. I double-dip all the time. This is specific to things like coconut or almond butter. Sometimes, if I’m trying to not double-dip for whatever reason, I’ll use the other end of my utensil to scoop up some more. I know, it’s kinda silly and at some point, I end up double-dipping anyway. I guess I’m courteous to a point, but then I don’t care. Jesse never knows anyway, but I know he does it too!
  2. When I was really young, I wanted to be a dental hygienist. Then, from about 4th grade on, I wanted to be an interior designer. I studied interior design my first 1-1/2 years of college, but ended up changing my major. I did not like drafting or CAD at all! I switched to communication/public relations and transferred schools. During my senior year, I became interested in kinesiology and physical therapy, but never said or did anything about it. It already took me an extra year to get my BA because of changing my major once, and I was anxious to be done. Sometimes, I still wonder though, but I don’t dwell.
  3. The other day, I was told not to be intimidated by the product, Muscle Milk. I was helping coach class at the gym and two Muscle Milk reps walked in, at the most inopportune time. The two gals approached me and asked if we wanted some samples for the gym. I immediately said no, and they both looked shocked. That’s when one of them told me not to be intimidated by the name, Muscle Milk and said that it’s just a protein drink. Trying not to laugh, I told her I knew what it was, but did NOT want any (I think the disgusted look on my face said it all). Seriously, nobody should be drinking that stuff…it’s a chemical sh*tstorm! I mean it, go look up the ingredient label. It’s horrendous. Unfortunately, they ended up leaving a few because a gym member wanted some. I told Jason Seib this story when I was out at his gym yesterday, and he told me I should’ve flexed for the girl when she told me not to be intimidated by Muscle Milk!
  4. I cooked and ate a fresh artichoke for the first time yesterday. We received two in our CSA box this week, but normally, I wouldn’t buy them. I had no clue how to prepare them, but luckily my friend, Laura filled me in. If it hadn’t been her, it would’ve been my friend, Google. Anyway, the edible parts tasted good, but it seemed like a whole lot of fuss for a tiny bit of artichoke. About 95% of the darn thing isn’t even edible! To me, it just seems like an excuse for people to eat butter, but who needs an excuse? I love me some butter!
  5. I am terrible at sports. I move well and have good coordination, but for some reason, am not proficient at sports. I danced for 12 years, and dabbled in some occasional tennis lessons and t-ball (which I quit at age 4 because I didn’t like the coach), but have never been good at sports. I think it’s a lack of confidence, some fear, and not having a very competitive drive. I actually played adult kickball when I first moved to Portland, about 5 years ago and it was nothing but embarrassment. I thought I’d be fine because I remembered liking kickball as a kid and figured, heck, all I have to do is kick a big red ball. Oh boy, was I wrong. People took this stuff seriously and well, I did not. I dawdled when in the outfield and prayed that the ball wouldn’t come my way. I tried to kick the ball successfully, but the pitchers used different techniques, making it hard to kick. When I did kick it, the ball usually got caught right away. Needless to say, I did not sign up again. Getting pats on the back and, “nice try” comments wasn’t enough for me. On the plus side, Jesse and I got to see our friends every week and go out after the games. That was the only part I liked.

8 thoughts on “Funny Confessions

1. Craving4More March 14, 2013 / 7:48 am

I feel the exact same way about artichokes! Way too much work to really only serve as a vessel for the dip or sauce. 🙂 Next month’s Peak Pick is artichokes – I’m going to have to get pretty creative, I think…

2. Rhiarti March 14, 2013 / 7:59 am

Oh lordy, “don’t be intimidated” to someone who blatantly wouldn’t be? What kind of a sales pitch is that?! I was using Dymatize as part of the January “slow carb” experiment, and… same deal. Chemical shitstorm my system still hasn’t fully recovered from.

Glad I’m not the only one whose natural grace and co-ordination doesn’t extend to sport! Probably the most amusing one I tried was tennis: nine times out of ten I missed the ball, but when I hit it… well, then the weight lifting really showed and another five minutes would be lost as I trailed off to retrieve the ball from way, way outside the court! I think I’ll stick to weights, walks and dancing. 😀

• paleoinpdx March 14, 2013 / 9:38 am

I know, right? I didn’t mention it, but the girls kinda seemed a bit air-headish too, which made it that much worse. It’s really funny how grace and coordination doesn’t carry over into sports for people like us, isn’t it? It’s just not meant to be, I guess, but that’s okay!

3. Leah March 14, 2013 / 8:26 am

Another fun post! I recently tried whole fresh artichokes for the first time too and I was less than impressed. I don’t think I’ll be buying those again for our weekly meals! Not sure what all the hype is about.

Thanks for sharing your kickball experience haha. My boyfriend and I are thinking about joining a league this summer but I’m definitely intimidated. Your story didn’t quite ease my nerves. 😉

• paleoinpdx March 14, 2013 / 9:36 am

Oh no, sorry if I made your nerves worse! Maybe your experience will be better than mine, if you decide to play that is.

4. girlmeetspaleo March 17, 2013 / 4:04 pm

Funny, I got super interested in health/exercise/nutrition during my senior year in college too! I figured it was too late, so I finished up the degree I was already doing. I think about the “what ifs” all the time lol though not the best, I can’t help thinking I could have made such a better choice in my education. Live and learn!

• paleoinpdx March 17, 2013 / 4:48 pm

It’s never too late to make a change though! This is why I’m back in school right now. I’m not getting another 4-year degree, but am doing a certificate program instead, for fitness technology. I just sometimes wonder how the course of things would’ve changed had I decided to switch my major during senior year.