Here’s a tasty, naturally sweet, starchy side dish for you all: baked bananas and squash. The butternut squash and bananas are tossed with coconut oil, sea salt, warm spices and pineapple or orange juice to create this heavenly combination.
We ate this delicious side dish with chicken breasts and sautéed kale for dinner, which was fantastic. It would also be awesome with eggs and bacon. It could even be eaten as a treat with coconut butter drizzled on top. Yum!
Baked Bananas and Squash
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded & cubed
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted (I like this brand)
- 2 medium bananas, peeled and thinly sliced (use just-ripe bananas that are yellow, but have no brown spots)
- Cinnamon, to taste
- Dash of cayenne
- Dash of sea salt
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened pineapple or orange juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place squash cubes on a baking sheet and toss with the coconut oil, cinnamon, cayenne and sea salt. Add the bananas and pour pineapple or orange juice over everything. Toss again, gently, so as to not mash up the bananas. Sprinkle with more cinnamon, if desired.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until squash is tender.
Looks amazing. I hope that you get some sleep before your flight. Have a safe trip.
Thanks, me too!
Never thought to put squash and banana together but this looks yummy 🙂 I hope you have a good & safe flight! Looking forward to reading about your time back in MI 🙂
Thanks, Naz! I’ll definitely be recapping about it 🙂
Well, if it weren’t for the darn bananas, I’d be all over this! 🙂 Great job – way to be creative. I love that.
Haha, you and your detest for bananas…and bacon! Are you coming around at all on the bacon front?
Great idea! Two of my all time favorite foods come together!
Lemons 'n Lyme
I’m pretty sure this is all I will be eating for… ever! Can’t wait to make this. I don’t have a butternut squash on hand so I’m going to try it with sweet potatoes. YUM!