These BBQ buffalo meat muffins make for an easy, tasty lunch and are suitable for breakfast or dinner as well. All you need to do as add a side of veggies for a complete meal!
The Tessemae’s All Natural BBQ sauce is delicious, but I realized that I need to be careful with it. It has balsamic vinegar in it and I discovered that it’s still a bit too much for me at this point (balsamic is a SCD-illegal food because of the natural sugar content). I thought it’d maybe be okay since I’m far in my healing, but I guess not. My bloat was tolerable each time, but still annoying. I’ll try it out again down the road or understand the potential consequences if I choose to eat it. For most people, this won’t be an issue, but if you adhere to the SCD, don’t try balsamic until you’re far enough into your healing, but realize that it may still cause a problem. On another note, the muffins are really, really delicious and so is the BBQ sauce!
BBQ Buffalo Muffins
- 1 tsp bacon fat
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground buffalo
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 egg, preferably pasture-raised
- 1/4 cup Tessemae’s All Natural BBQ sauce (homemade or other legit brand like this one works too)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- Pinch of cayenne
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a muffin tin with coconut oil and set aside.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat, and add the bacon grease. Once melted, add the red onion and saute a few minutes, until translucent and softened. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, mix together the ground buffalo, egg, spinach, BBQ sauce, sea salt, pepper and cayenne. Then, add the sauteed onion.
- Spoon into greased muffin tin, filling to the top. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through. Time and quantity will vary based on the size of your muffin tin.
Wow. These look great. I like the picnic table backdrop, by the way.
Thanks, it’s actually just our deck 🙂
I love making these kinds of things. 🙂 I was talking to Mike about needing to make them. Works so wonderful when you make extra for days when you just don’t feel like cooking … these are amazing. 😀
Thanks, Shonnie…as always 😉