Cause for Excitement

Wow, it’s been one heck of a week in terms of school and activity, and my body has felt the brunt of it. Thankfully, the school week is over and I now have room to think more about the things I’m excited about. Here’s what I’m especially stoked about right now:

1. Ring shopping this weekend: Do I need to say any more here? Oh my goodness, I can’t wait! Jesse and I are going out to breakfast on Saturday and then starting from there. We’re going to Gilt Vintage & Artisan Jewelry to look at some antique pieces (I love the idea of having a ring with a background story!) and will scope out a couple other recommended places as well (Alchemy and Judith Arnell Jewelers). We’re also going ceremony outfit shopping for Jesse. We’re keeping our little ceremony a bit more casual (but nice, of course) and Jesse is really not a suit guy, so we’re going an alternate route. I think it’ll be better this way and why not pay money for something that can be worn again? Jesse and I are practical people, so this makes the most sense for us. I’ll recap about all this after the weekend!

Gilt's selections are beautiful and always changing. Look at this pretty jem. (Photo credit: Gilt Facebook page).
    Gilt’s selections are beautiful and always changing. Look at this pretty jem. (Photo credit: Gilt Facebook page).
  2. US Wellness Meats: Yep, my friend, Macala and I are in the process of placing another US Wellness Meats order. I get super giddy putting an order together. Seriously, it’s like being a kid in a candy store. We go in on orders together every few months. We don’t go hog wild, but get some good staples to keep handy in the freezer. This is where I get all my sugar-free beef bacon too. I even ordered our kitties some special pet food, which is a mixture of raw grass-fed beef, beef liver and beef heart. I know they’ll love it because we already feed them some raw food that is a combo of raw turkey, turkey liver and turkey heart and they go crazy over it. They eat this as a supplement to their dry, grain-free cat food. We take good care of our furry friends!
  3. Primal Recess class: I had to miss this class on Tuesday due to school and exhaustion, so I’m happy to go today. This class, at Recreate, is always a bit more intimate and Jesse has us do lots of playful stuff. I’m usually the only girl and have fun playing with the boys.

Having fun with the boys in Primal Recess class last Thursday.
    Having fun with the boys in Primal Recess class last Thursday. (Photo credit: Recreatefitness.com).
  4. Getting a real senior client: For my special populations pro-act class, which is a follow-up from my fitness and aging class, we’re learning how to test and program for the senior population. Last week, we visited an amazing senior retirement center that literally had everything you could dream of (shops, fitness center & pool, bank, clinic, post office, hair salon, etc.)! We were fortunate to not only get a full tour, but also take part in a chair aerobics class. We let all the seniors find their chairs first because they all have their favorite spots and God forbid someone take it! They were adorable, funny and oh-so precious. It was so enjoyable and heart-warming. In terms of the class, I was quite surprised how challenging a chair aerobics class actually is! Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t intense or difficult for me, but it was harder than I anticipated. The equipment included a chair, obviously, a ball and light dumbbells. Anyway, we’ll be going back in a couple weeks to be introduced to a real client, in which we’ll consult with and administer senior fitness tests to (i.e. 8-foot get-up and go, back scratch, sit-to-stand, etc.). Then, we’ll develop a program for our client and go back again and show them the exercises. I think it’s going to be a lot of fun and even though I’m a touch nervous, I’m excited more than anything. It’s really touching to spend time with seniors because it reminds me of being with my grandparents and other senior relatives. It feels good and is actually a bit comforting.

(Photo credit: yezzzer.blogspot.com)
    (Photo credit: yezzzer.blogspot.com)
  5. Continuing to purge: With all the new stuff I got for my wedding shower and items I picked out myself with shower money, Jesse and I have cleared space and gotten rid of a lot of stuff. It feels so refreshing to get rid of bagfuls of old things and replace it with nice, new and fresh stuff. We live in such a small place though, that we really didn’t have a choice, but to purge. We’ll be making another trip to goodwill soon because we just got a shiny new Oneida silverware set and need to get rid of our mismatched cheap pieces. I’m sure I can find more items (again) to ditch with the silverware. It feels SO good!

My pretty new silverware set.
    My pretty new silverware set.

16 thoughts on “Cause for Excitement

1. Craving4More April 18, 2013 / 11:40 am

I see an Awesome Ending Weekend post coming for you early next week πŸ™‚
    Have fun ring shopping. That sounds like a blast – be sure to bring your iPod, playing Beyonce’s tune as you two saunter down the sidewalk together πŸ™‚

• paleoinpdx April 18, 2013 / 1:37 pm

Absolutely! Thanks, Ashley…it will be tons of fun and I can’t wait. Haha, I like the suggestion of the iPod!

2. Naz (@CinnamonEats) April 18, 2013 / 12:51 pm

How exciting especially the ring shopping! Joe and I went looking together as well and he ended up having one designed for me πŸ™‚ Have you got your dress for the ceremony? That recreate class looks like so much fun! If we ever come back to America I definitely want to come see Portland it looks and sounds like an amazing place!

• paleoinpdx April 18, 2013 / 1:35 pm

I know, I can’t wait! Yep, I got my dress back in February from a little local boutique. It’s a short white dress with colorful flowers, that look like they were painted with watercolor paints. It’s lovely and can easily be worn for other occasions.

The class is tons of fun, but also challenging. It’s Jesse’s baby and he designs and teaches it. Yes, Portland is definitely worth a visit!

• Naz (@CinnamonEats) April 18, 2013 / 1:46 pm

Looking forward to seeing photos of your ceremony πŸ™‚

3. paleoinpdx April 18, 2013 / 1:49 pm

It’s not until June, so you have some waiting time πŸ˜‰

4. Mary Catherine April 18, 2013 / 2:01 pm

I love your write up about your visit to the senior center. I find that population so cool and interesting. It’s fantastic that you will get to work with a client there.

Congrats on all the wedding stuff!

• paleoinpdx April 19, 2013 / 1:18 pm

Thank you, MC! I’m glad you appreciated that part of my post because I find that population so cool and interesting too. They’re lots of fun as well πŸ™‚

5. Gilt Jewelry April 18, 2013 / 3:08 pm

Thanks for the props! What a fun adventure you are starting! We send you our congratulations and look forward to seeing you and your fiance.

• paleoinpdx April 18, 2013 / 3:29 pm

Of course! I’m really excited to come in tomorrow and can’t wait to look at your selection. Gilt is the first stop! I’ve had numerous ladies recommend your shop πŸ™‚

• paleoinpdx April 20, 2013 / 7:43 am

I mean today…I’ll be in today (Saturday)!!

6. Megan April 18, 2013 / 7:05 pm

I am going through the same house purge! My roommate of 2 years moved out last week and my new roommate is moving in today and I am giving her free reign to throw a lot of stuff (including silver wear) out! Plus before she got here I went through everything I owned and donated 3 trash bags worth of things!

7. Rhiarti April 19, 2013 / 1:38 pm

What a wonderful post! Hope you have a fabulous time ring shopping – can’t wait to see what you get! Our own wedding was very informal, and I really feel that contributed immeasurably towards making it the happy, generous-spirited day it was. Definitely a good way to go for us non-suity types! πŸ˜€

• paleoinpdx April 20, 2013 / 7:44 am

Thank you, today is the big ring shopping day! Sounds like our tastes are pretty similar in terms of weddings πŸ˜‰