This is a nice, hearty and meaty Ragu sauce, which comes together quickly. This easy-to-make sauce allows you to have dinner on the table in no time. I recommend it over zucchini noodles, but it would be wonderful over spaghetti squash in the fall and winter as well. The sauce is even delicious on its own — like a thick stew.
On another note, Jesse and I leave for our little San Francisco trip this Sunday! I’m more than excited and ready to leave Portland for a few days. It’s my first time to San Francisco and California for that matter (with the exception of the San Fran airport). I’ve been wanting to go since I was a little girl and am thrilled that it’s finally happening. I’ll definitely be recapping about it and will probably even share some photos while I’m there. Also, as I mentioned in Wednesday’s post, I’ll be sharing photos and details from my recent wedding sometime soon too, so stay tuned!
Meaty Ragu Sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp grass-fed beef butter, ghee or coconut oil
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 2 fresh spicy Italian chicken sausages, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 18 oz jar tomato puree (I used Middle Earth Organics)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of cayenne
- 1/3 cup fresh oregano
- Melt butter, ghee or coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute a couple minutes. Then, add the ground beef and sliced sausage. Break up ground beef with a spatula. Continue to cook for a few minutes. Then, add the mushrooms. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Once mushrooms have softened and beef is cooked through, add the tomato puree, tomato paste, basil, smoked paprika, cinnamon and cayenne. Add sea salt and pepper to taste. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once done, stir in fresh oregano.
- Serve atop of zucchini noodles.
Yields: 4-5 servings
The Travelling Chopsticks
Ooh can’t wait to see some pictures from San Fran! My hubby and I are heading there for the 4th of july weekend….i’m so excited as it will be my first time too 🙂 Looking forward to reading your thoughts!
Exciting for you too! I bet it’ll be a blast being there 4th of July weekend!
My mouth is watering…
I always put cinnamon in my tomato-based sauces too. YUM!! 🙂
Hey Miss Paleo in PDX, this is Ute from FastPaleo and Grokette’s Primal Musings! Would absolutely love to see you post some of your stuff to FastPaleo.com!! 🙂 I’ll do a blogger shoutout in return! Have a great weekend!
Yes, yes…absolutely! I’ve actually been thinking about that too and just need to remember to do it! I’d love a blogger shoutout too 😉