Fourth of July Recap

English: Fireworks on the Fourth of July
English: Fireworks on the Fourth of July (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Hello friends! Please pardon my lack of posts this week. My computer is out of commission right now, but I’m hoping to have it back by Monday. I had a recipe to share for today, but all the pictures for it are saved on my computer, so it’ll have to wait. Meanwhile, Jesse let me borrow his laptop, so I thought I’d share a little bit about our holiday yesterday.

First off, I don’t know it’s because of the magnesium I took before bed, the white noise from the fan or my decision to sleep in, but I had the best night’s sleep on the eve of the fourth. I woke up yesterday morning refreshed and well rested, and even slept until 8 am! I decided to take a bit of a recovery day, so opted out of going to early morning yoga or doing the holiday workout at Recreate. Instead though, I went for a lovely walk upon waking. It felt SO good and the temperature was perfect. I even broke up my walk with some duck unders (the u-shaped bike racks are great for this, permitting you have the hip mobility), push-ups and play at a nearby park playground. Thankfully, because of the holiday and it being earlier in the morning, there was no kids at the playground, which is a rarity! Afterward, I ran a couple errands and then made a stellar breakfast (you know…bacon, farm-fresh eggs from Jason Seib’s chickens, sauerkraut, veggies, local berries).

Moving forward into the day, Jesse and I went out for a biking adventure. We rode up and down hills, through neighborhoods and then found a nice outdoor patio, where we enjoyed some libations. We enjoyed each other’s company and conversation for a while and then rode home to eat dinner. Thankfully, I had prepped most everything earlier in the day, so things came together quickly.

For dinner, we had grilled vidalia onions, beef and mushroom kabobs and a creamy zucchini salad. For the kabobs, I marinated sirloin cubes in coconut oil, thyme, garlic, oregano and sea salt. Then, I assembled them on skewers with crimini mushrooms. I used Strictly Paleo…ish’s recipe for the salad, but used fresh basil instead of parsley and roughly 3/4 – one cup of mayo instead of 2 cups. I also made my homemade mayo from half coconut oil and half extra virgin olive oil, which turned out fantastic! It was my first time using coconut oil in mayo, and it worked great. Normally, I use avocado oil or macadamia nut oil, but had neither on hand and refuse to use straight up extra virgin olive oil for mayo. I did that once and it tasted awful — burned my throat! Anyway, the mayo tastes very buttery and is out of this world. I will definitely make it this way again.

Mmm...kabobs and grilled, buttery sweet onions.
Mmm…kabobs and grilled, buttery sweet onions.
Creamy zucchini salad with coconut oil mayo and basil. So delicious, crunchy and refreshing!
Creamy zucchini salad with coconut oil mayo and basil. Delicious, crunchy and refreshing!

For dessert, we had fresh blueberries and peaches with coconut milk whipped cream and some chopped TCHO 99% dark chocolate (just pure chocolate…nothing else!).

We didn’t watch any fireworks, but could here them going off from every direction in the neighborhood, and could smell them too. The kitties didn’t like it too much and Mila, our Siamese feline, hid under the bed most of the night!

Dessert: berries, coconut milk whipped cream, 99% dark chocolate.
Dessert: berries, peaches, coconut milk whipped cream, 99% dark chocolate.

What did you do for the Fourth of July? Did you eat anything especially delicious?

11 thoughts on “Fourth of July Recap

1. Craving4More July 5, 2013 / 11:41 am

It sounds like you had a great day of PLAY! I love exploration walks and bike rides – I used to do that as a kid and your description really made me smile. Marc and I were just talking about how we long for play and FUN! We found a Nerf football while packing and decided to make a commitment to using that in the near future.

• paleoinpdx July 5, 2013 / 11:58 am

It was great, indeed and felt very refreshing! I needed it too! Wow, I don’t remember the last time I even saw a Nerf football…that’s awesome and I hope you two do use it!

I can’t wait to eat lunch with you at the cart on Saturday! I already know that I’m getting chicken tenders. Again, feel free to bring Marc. If you do, maybe I’ll bring Jesse too, but either way is fine with me!

2. Heather Dailey July 5, 2013 / 6:01 pm

Started my morning with a long walk with a good friend followed by breakfast out with Jon. We went to a family bbq around 2:30 & stayed well into the evening. It was a good test for me, as there were plenty of desserts, jello shots & things I shouldn’t eat & I stayed away from all of it but what was Paleo friendly. I played badminton for quite some time, which I haven’t done since I was younger. It was so much fun I’d love to play again whenever I get the chance. I never thought to grill onions like that. Looks like another good one to try! Can’t wait to make some of the things you’ve posted with veggies from our own garden. I’ve made the garlic skapes a couple of times now. Boy are they good! 🙂

• paleoinpdx July 5, 2013 / 6:53 pm

Sounds like you had a great day! I used to play badminton a lot as a kid, but it’s been many years since I last tossed a birdie around too! I may have to do that again someday soon, if it’s still as fun as you say 😉 The onions are amazing on the grill — just cut each end and peel off of a vidalia or walla walla onion. Dig out the top center piece and fill the hole with a generous pat of butter. Season with sea salt and pepper and wrap in foil (like a Hershey’s kiss). Grill for 30-35 minutes with lid down. It’s so delish and forms its own broth. I got the grilled onion recipe from my mom. She used to make them all the time when I lived at home, especially during the summer in between college semesters. Also, I’m glad to hear you’re digging the garlic scapes!

3. Strictly Paleo...ish! July 7, 2013 / 1:18 am

Happy to see you did go for the zucchini salad, and that you liked it!
    I like the adjustments you did to it too 🙂

Take care
    //Peter

• paleoinpdx July 7, 2013 / 8:05 am

Yes, we love the salad, Peter! In fact, we’re still eating the leftovers, as it made quite a bit. It keeps really well in the fridge though. Thanks again for the recipe!

4. Naz (@CinnamonEats) July 7, 2013 / 1:32 am

Sounds like you had a fantastic day! Glad you brought up the magnesium, I’ve been meaning to ask you about that. What brand do you use? Been looking into taking it. Do you take it nightly? Btw did you end up getting the primal pit paste stuff?

• paleoinpdx July 7, 2013 / 8:08 am

I use Natural Calm unflavored powder. I mix it into some hot water and drink it close to bed. I just take the recommended initial dosage (1/2 tsp) and yes, I take it everyday. And the Primal Pit Paste is awesome! It works SO good and has blown me away! Seriously, I’ve had sweaty workouts and bike rides, and haven’t even had to reapply. It’s good stuff! I bought the strong in lavender. It’s kinda weird putting deodorant on with my fingers, but I’m getting used to it.

• Naz (@CinnamonEats) July 7, 2013 / 9:05 am

Cool, is there a reason you take it in powder form or you just prefer it that way? I’ll have to look that brand up, not sure I can get it here. That’s excellent about the Primal Pit Paste! Glad it worked out so well for you 🙂 I’m planning on making my own deodorant this week, let’s see how that goes 🙂 Yeh I can imagine it would feel weird putting it on with your fingers. Looks like something that would last a long time as well 🙂

• paleoinpdx July 7, 2013 / 11:47 am

Personal preference and also because that’s how the Natural Calm comes. I don’t think you can find it in a capsule form. Either way works though, as long as it doesn’t have any additives/fillers. I had read a lot of good things about Natural Calm, which is why I went with it.

Keep me posted on the homemade deodorant! I still want to try that at some point!

• Naz (@CinnamonEats) July 7, 2013 / 12:10 pm

Ok good to know! I will, I might do a blog post on it but maybe I’ll see how it works out first 🙂