Let me tell you, these are some mighty fine and decadent carrots! This mash combines the best of all worlds with a little creaminess, spice, sweetness, tang and crunch. Not only that, but it makes for a great side dish to nearly any protein and is a good source of paleo-friendly carbs. I’ve been eating it with my lunch lately, as a side to a big salad. Jesse has been missing out on trying this stuff because I keep eating it, so if he doesn’t get on it soon, he’s gonna miss out!
Cheers and enjoy!
- 4 cups peeled and chopped carrots
- 3 medjool dates, pitted and cut in half
- 3-5 Tbsp water
- Himalayan sea salt to taste
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3 Tbsp grass-fed butter
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sprouted almonds, chopped
- Place carrots in a steamer basket in a pan and cover with a lid. Cook over medium heat for 7-8 minutes or until carrots are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, add the water and dates to a small saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook for a few minutes, until dates have softened and absorbed the water. Add more water if needed. It will be a sticky paste once done.
- Once carrots and dates are done, add to a food processor with the butter, salt, ground ginger and lemon juice. Process for about 30 seconds and then remove lid and scrape down the sides. Repeat one or two more times, until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and stir in the chopped almonds by hand. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Yields: ~5 side dish servings