Jesse and I are blessed with a wonderful Italian plum tree in our back yard and right now, its branches are loaded with fruit ready to be plucked. I’ve picked a lot already, but can only eat so many plums. Generally, I like to make something with the plums, versus eat them on their own. Over the years, I’ve just realized that these particular plums are better for cooking.
Because of the bounty of our tree, these pretty gems have definitely had their place in my kitchen lately, and this healing gelatin recipe is just one of the things I experimented with. It is slightly tart, a little sweet and rich in flavor. I think I could eat this gelatin with just about every meal! To get the most from the nutrients, make sure to choose a high-quality, grass-fed gelatin.
On another note, the winner of the Paleo Wraps giveaway has been chosen! Kymber, who left the comment below, was the chosen winner. Kymber, please email me with your mailing address at email@example.com! Thanks to everyone who entered!
“Oh my gosh…its a toss up on what I would make first. I LOVE Mexican food…so a burrito or taco would be first for dinner and a breakfast burrito the next morning!”
Spiced Plum Gelatin
- 4 cups Italian plums, pitted and quartered
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 3 Tbsp water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Dash of Himalayan salt
- 2 Tbsp raw honey
- 2 Tbsp grass-fed gelatin (I use this brand. Read more about grass-fed gelatin here.)
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the plums, lemon juice, water and raw honey. Stir and let cook down for about 4-5 minutes.
- Next, add the cinnamon sticks, ginger and Himalayan sea salt. Stir well and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Continue to simmer 15-25 minutes or until plums have broken down and the mixture is saucy.
- Remove cinnamon sticks and pour in the gelatin powder. Stir continuously for a couple minutes, until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl or into individual dishes. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight to set.