Lamb and Tomatoes with Greek Pesto

IMG_3804

I am so proud of myself — I am finally coming around with lamb! I never grew up eating it and did not like it the few times I’ve tasted it (the first time being last year), but haven’t given up. I realized earlier this year that lamb sausage is doable for me since it’s well spiced, but that’s been about the extent of my lamb intake.

Anyway, last weekend, Jesse and I went out to dinner and I decided to take the plunge and order a bunless lamb burger. It came with a minty olive oil spread on top and oh my gosh, it tasted out of this world with the lamb. I raved and raved about it! Now, I understand why lamb is often paired with mint. My goodness, the flavor is magical! Who knew that all I needed to do was taste lamb with mint to truly appreciate it?

Since that weekend, I took it upon myself to buy some grass-fed ground lamb (it is so easy to find grass-fed lamb too) with the purpose of pairing it with something minty. This recipe is what I came up with and truthfully, I have to pat myself on the back because it is so darn good! I couldn’t stop saying, “mmm…” with each and every bite. Cheers to a successful lamb recipe! Hope you enjoy it too.

For the Greek pesto:

• 3/4 cup loosely packed Italian parsley leaves
  • 3/4 cup loosely packed mint leaves
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 large lemon, juiced
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • Himalayan sea salt and black pepper to taste

Add all the ingredients to the food processor and blend for 20-30 seconds. Scrape down sides and adjust seasoning, if necessary. Blend again until everything is mixed well. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.

Yields: ~2/3 cup

IMG_3794

For the lamb:

• 1 Tbsp grass-fed butter, ghee or coconut oil
  • 1 small yellow onion, sliced into thin half moons
  • 1 lb grass-fed ground lamb
  • 1.5 tsp dried oregano
  • Himalayan sea salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 large heirloom tomato, chopped
  • Greek pesto (recipe above)

Directions:

1. Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute 2-3 minutes, until softened.
  2. Next, add the ground lamb and break up with a spatula. Mix in the salt, pepper and oregano.
  3. Continue to cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until lamb is browned and cooked through (about 5-7 minutes).
  4. Once lamb is done, remove pan from heat and stir in the tomatoes. Then, stir in the Greek pesto. I mixed in all of the pesto, but you can use less, if desired. Serve warm with vegetable of choice. I recommend zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice or a romaine & cucumber salad.

Yields: 3-4 servings

11 thoughts on “Lamb and Tomatoes with Greek Pesto

1. Naz (@CinnamonEats) September 3, 2013 / 12:52 pm

DELICIOUS!!! I’m proud of you too 🙂 What an AMAZING recipe! Will be making this for sure 🙂 All I can think is yummy yummy yummmmy! And yes lamb and mint are a classic pairing, in Australia grilled lamb chops and mint sauce are very popular 🙂

• paleoinpdx September 3, 2013 / 3:05 pm

I can’t wait to hear your take! You are the lamb connoisseur after all 😉

2. Craving4More September 3, 2013 / 3:01 pm

So proud of you! I have a delicious lamb recipe coming in the next few weeks you will love too. I think it would be great with this pesto you’ve created!

• paleoinpdx September 3, 2013 / 3:05 pm

Thanks, Ashley! It’s a big deal for me…kinda like bacon and olives for you! Can’t wait to see your recipe 🙂

3. Mary Catherine September 3, 2013 / 5:16 pm

Lamb is my favorite! And this looks amazing. I don’t cook much with mint so that’s a nice twist!

• paleoinpdx September 3, 2013 / 8:03 pm

Thanks, Mary Catherine! I honestly never cook with mint either, so it was a nice change of pace for me.

4. Paula September 3, 2013 / 6:17 pm

I’m can relate to your prior lamb experience–I made lamb burgers and thought they were pretty strong tasting, but then tried them again with fresh mint and a Greek seasoning blend and they were much better. I think you nailed the seasoning in this one. The pesto looks like the perfect addition and I love meals that come together in a skillet! I’d love to give this a try over the weekend!

• paleoinpdx September 3, 2013 / 8:13 pm

Thanks, Paula — I appreciate that! It’s especially encouraging since I literally have no experience cooking with lamb! It really is amazing how much different (and better!) it tastes with the right seasoning. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! I love one dish meals too!

5. Paula September 6, 2013 / 8:25 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and we loved it!! The pesto is so tasty and really makes the dish. I could tell I was eating lamb, but the mint and lemon really balanced it out. I made extra pesto to put on chicken tomorrow. Great lamb recipe (especially for your first one)! Have a wonderful time at your wedding reception!

• paleoinpdx September 9, 2013 / 8:59 am

That’s great, Paula! The pesto is really what makes the recipe spectacular and mellows out the flavor of the lamb. I bet it will taste wonderful with chicken too!