Thanksgiving is just over one week away and I’m sure many of you are thinking about your dinner menu. Dessert is always a part of Thanksgiving dinner and most often, it’s pumpkin pie. As much as I love pumpkin pie, I think I adore butternut squash pie even more. It yields a bit more flavor and is just as easy to prepare.
In this recipe, however, there is no crust and the pie forms a little bit of its own crust. Now, I have nothing against crust and appreciate a good (grain-free) one, but when it comes to pumpkin pie (or butternut squash), I’m all about the filling! If you’re set on having it though, you can use this recipe with a crust. I think a nut crust with ground pecans and hazelnuts would be especially delicious.
Crustless Butternut Squash Pie
For the butternut squash puree (same for pumpkin):
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut the butternut squash (about a 2-2.5 lb squash) in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place flesh side down on a baking pan and add about 1/4-inch of water or so. Bake for 60 minutes in the oven or until flesh is soft.
- Allow to cool and then scoop the flesh out of the skin and place into a food processor. Process until completely smooth — you don’t want any lumps!
- Then, place in a fine mesh colander/strainer (line with cheesecloth if it’s not fine enough) and drain overnight in the refrigerator (obviously, you’ll place a bowl underneath the strainer to catch the liquid). Ta-da, beautiful and perfect squash puree!
- 2 cups canned or fresh butternut squash puree (see steps above for fresh)
- 2 eggs, preferably pasture-raised
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 3/4 cup pure coconut cream (I use this brand) OR full-fat coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp grass-fed butter or ghee, melted, plus extra for greasing the pie dish
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch pie dish with a little butter and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, add all the ingredients. Process until smooth with a hand mixer or the stand mixer. Scrape down sides of the bowl with a spatula and process again.
- Once smooth and blended, pour the mixture into the greased pie dish.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes in the preheated oven. Once done, allow to cool completely before serving.
- Cut into desired size slices and serve with homemade coconut milk whipped cream, if desired. Or, if tolerated, serve with homemade dairy-based whipped cream.
- Store any leftover pie in the refrigerator.