I’ve made this ginger beef and greens bowl three times in the past week because it’s that delicious (and also because I had a huge piece of ginger root in the fridge). I first made it last Saturday, after getting home from a seven hour workshop with Steve Maxwell. I was pooped out, but still mustered to throw together this delicious, quick and nutrient-dense meal. The fresh ginger is what really makes this dish pop, but if you’re in a pinch, you can use ground ginger too.
Meanwhile, I wish you all a wonderful Memorial Day weekend! I hope you’re able to get outside, play, relax, socialize, grill and enjoy. Cheers!
Ginger Beef and Greens Bowl
- 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- ~2 cups broccoli (peel and chop the stems too)
- 2 cups torn kale leaves
- 1-2 Tbsp coconut aminos
- Splash of bone broth (2-4 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- Pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Melt coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger. Stir and sauté 2-3 minutes. Then, add the ground beef and break up with a spatula. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Continue to brown the meat, stirring occasionally. After about 5-7 minutes, add the broccoli, coconut aminos, dried basil, cayenne or pepper flakes and bone broth. Stir well and continue to cook for several minutes, or until broccoli is softened slightly.
- Add the kale and stir. Season to taste with a bit more sea salt and pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes more or until kale is softened. Then, remove from heat and serve.
Yields: ~3 servings