Well, summer is officially here! Jesse and I enjoyed the summer solstice by taking a nice stroll and finding an outdoor patio to enjoy a couple happy hour cocktails. Once we walked back home, it was time to start dinner. I didn’t want to fuss with much and already decided prior we would have chicken breast and garlic scapes, but wanted a refreshing side salad to go with it. Luckily, I almost always have a bag of broccoli slaw in my fridge. Seriously, I love this stuff and its versatility. It works well for hot dishes or cold, and is one of my favorites in a veggie and meat sauté.
Normally, I think salads like this taste better the next day, but Jesse and I both liked it better the day I made it, after letting it marinate for about 20 minutes. It still tasted good the next day, but was a bit more mustardy tasting from the Dijon. It was more subtle on the day I made it and I guess we both liked it better that way.
Summer Broccoli Slaw Salad
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp raw honey
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of granulated garlic
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz bag broccoli slaw
- 1/2 large or 1 small avocado, sliced
- 2-3 chopped green onions, optional
- Pour the broccoli slaw in a large bowl.
- In a separate small mixing bowl or dressing shaker, combine all the remaining ingredients, except the avocado and green onion. Mix well with a whisk or shake well if using a dressing shaker. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Pour dressing over the broccoli slaw and stir well. Add the avocado slices and chopped green onions, if using. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator 15-20 minutes. Serve with something grilled!
Yields: 4-5 side dish servings