Holiday Highlights

Family Christmas photo

First off, I hope you all had a lovely, relaxing and fun holiday. Ours was wonderful and lots of new memories were made. We spent Christmas Eve with friends, did our own thing on Christmas day (and talked to family back home in Michigan), and went out with another friend to celebrate the day after Christmas.

On another note, Penny D. was the winner of the Paleo Eats giveaway, which I announced last Tuesday morning. Penny, I still have not heard back from you, so please email me ASAP with your mailing address at paleoinportland@gmail.com. If I do not hear from you by end of day on Wednesday, December 31, I will be picking a new winner.

paleo-eats-cover

Anyway, here are some random photos from Christmas. I didn’t take too many, but thought I’d share the handful that I did take. We enjoyed pork tenderloin with apples, onions and a hard cider sauce for dinner, along with cauliflower/parsnip mash and kale sautéed with chanterelle mushrooms. Oh, and we made French toast with the sweet bread from Paleo Eats for breakfast that morning and it was incredible! We ate ours with butter and a little raw honey on top, and a side of bacon. Sadly, I didn’t snap any photos of it…or really any food for that matter.

Meanwhile, I hope you all have a happy New Year! Jesse’s birthday is New Year’s Eve and he’s planned some fun festivities during the day — climbing, go-carts and a shooting range (this part is still TBD). That night, we’ll go out to dinner with some friends. Aside from that, I have a recipe in the works that I plan to make on New Year’s day. Hopefully, it’ll turn out well, so I can share it with you all. I know it’s been a while since I’ve posted one!

Cheers!

Getting a last minute gift for our kitties on Christmas Eve.
Getting a last minute gift for our kitties on Christmas Eve.
Amazing honey toffee shortbread cookies. Made these last year too.
Amazing honey toffee shortbread cookies. Made these last year too.
Opening presents on Christmas morning.
Opening presents on Christmas morning.
In addition to their new scratching post, the kitties enjoyed playing with the wrapping paper on Christmas morning.
The kitties enjoyed playing with the wrapping paper. They love their new kitty condo too.
The beautiful necklace Jesse gave me. I gave him lots of hints about this one!
The beautiful necklace Jesse gave me. I gave him lots of hints about this one!
IMG_2429
Our tree, which is only decorated on the top third.  You know…cats.
At the Multnomah Whiskey Library the day after Christmas. Incredible place!
At the Multnomah Whiskey Library the day after Christmas. Incredible place!

9 thoughts on “Holiday Highlights

1. Craving4More December 29, 2014 / 11:08 am

I just love that top photo of you two. What great smiles! 🙂

2. Naz (@CinnamonEats) December 29, 2014 / 11:18 am

Looks like you’ve been having a great time during this holiday season 🙂 I LOVE that necklace! It’s gorgeous! 🙂

• paleoinpdx December 29, 2014 / 11:26 am

Indeed! I just love the holiday season and am thankful it’s not quite over yet. I love the necklace too and am so happy to have it 🙂

3. Alisa December 29, 2014 / 1:59 pm

That necklace is amazing. Did he buy it local?

Also, I thought you might be a good person to ask this question of especially since you’re local…so, I’ve been into endurance sports for many years, I used to do a lot more strength training, I’m good about yoga and recently starting meditating, which I love. My question is about crossfit. I’m kinda interested in trying it. I’d like to get stronger! I found a groupon for a place in town and am debating pulling the trigger, yay or nay or wise trainer/paleo local/person that shares my name ;).

• paleoinpdx December 29, 2014 / 8:46 pm

Yes, the necklace is from a local artist – Loop Jewelry. She also sells on Etsy, which is where he bought it. I sent him the link and told him dozens of times that it was the one thing I really wanted!

The only local Crossfit gym I’m comfortable recommending is Crossfit Portland, which is on NE 8th. I know for a fact that they have legit coaches, are smart, thorough and do good work. Crossfit Portland was actually the first Crossfit gym in Oregon and the owner contributed to Robb Wolf’s book (The Paleo Solution). There might be some other good ones in Portland, but I don’t know about them. So many have popped up so fast and there are a lot of bad ones out there with crappy coaching going on. Other really good gyms that aren’t Crossfit specific are CPC Fitness and Fat Loss in Clackamas (run by Jason Seib; I also used to help out here, but don’t much anymore due to the commute) and Recreate Fitness, where I work. Both CPC and Recreate used to be Crossfit gyms back in the day, but dropped the affiliation a long time ago because there were some things they didn’t agree with or see as sustainable. Both wanted the freedom to incorporate other elements as well.

Anyway, that’s just my two cents and I hope it helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Alisa December 30, 2014 / 1:05 pm

Thanks girl. That is the place that is close to where I work. I have been interested in trying it but nervous for the all the reasons you described…coaches that don’t know what they are doing!

I also just looked at that Etsy shop, great stuff!

• paleoinpdx December 30, 2014 / 1:45 pm

Happy to help. Let me know what you decide! Like I said, I’d say yay on Crossfit Portland, but nay on many of the other Crossfits in town.