Chicken and broccoli are kind of a classic combo if you ask me, and these two foods especially taste wonderful together in casseroles. Something with chicken and broccoli was calling my name recently and in deciding what to make ahead of time for dinner the other night (since Jesse and I don’t get home until about 8pm), I threw together this little creation for us to eat when we got home. Every single ingredient was already in my kitchen, which goes to show that you can create easy, delicious meals without having to run to the store. Unless it’s a total Mother Hubbard’s cupboard scenario, which makes for a different story. That’s what my mom used to say whenever she needed to go to the store and I find that I say the same thing now when our fridge and cupboards are looking a little bare.
Anyway, it’s good to be back with a recipe. Hopefully, I’ll be back again soon with what I’m making on New Year’s day. Cheers and enjoy! Oh, and happy New Year too!
- 1/4 cup melted grass-fed butter, plus extra for greasing dish & sautéing veggies
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 cup white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large head broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 1 lb cooked chicken breasts, shredded (leftovers work great)
- 3/4 cup homemade almond milk or full-fat coconut milk
- 6 eggs, preferably pasture-raised
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish with butter and set aside.
- Melt a small amount of butter (about 1 Tbsp) in a large pan over medium heat. Add the leek and mushrooms, and saute a few minutes. Then, add the broccoli and season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Continue to saute a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once broccoli has slightly softened, add the shredded chicken and stir. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the 1/4 cup melted butter, eggs and almond or coconut milk. Once mixed, add the oregano, parsley, cayenne and sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Next, add the chicken/veggie mixture and stir. Pour into the greased casserole dish and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and puffy.
- Let cool about 5-10 minutes before serving.
Yields: 4 servings