Meanwhile, I hope all of you that celebrate Valentine’s Day had a great one. We don’t really celebrate it much, but I always get Jesse some nice chocolates every year — just to be a little cheesy. He surprised me this year and gave me a raw honey-sweetened chocolate bar and a generous gift card to Athleta. I was not expecting it at all since he generally doesn’t get me anything, so was shocked when he handed me a gift. It was so sweet of him and I was quite touched.
Chicken and Italian Veggie “Rice”
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp grass-fed butter or ghee
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, sliced
- 1 small or medium head of cauliflower, “riced” in the food processor (I use this one)
- 2 cups torn lacinato kale leaves with stems removed
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Splash of chicken bone broth, preferably homemade
- 1 tsp dried oregano, plus more if desired
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Melt 1 Tbsp of the butter or ghee in an oven proof skillet (I use and love this one) over medium heat. While pan is heating up, season chicken breasts with sea salt and pepper. Add chicken breasts to the hot pan and sear 4 minutes each side. Then place in a 350 degree oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts.
- While chicken is baking, melt the other Tbsp of butter or ghee in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and fennel, and sauté 3-4 minutes or until fennel is softened slightly. Then, add the kale and bone broth, and stir.
- After a minute or two, reduce heat to medium-low and add the riced cauliflower, oregano, and sea salt and pepper to taste. If needed, add a dash more bone broth. Then, add the chopped tomato and stir. Allow mixture to cook through a couple minutes and then keep warm over low heat until chicken is done.
- Once the chicken is done, slice into strips and serve on top of the cauliflower rice mixture.