Special occasions call for great dessert and if this whipped dairy-free lemon frosting is part of it, it’s sure to be a hit! It’s creamy, perfectly sweet and lemony fresh. It’s great for spring and Easter treats!
We had plans to go to a friend’s for dinner recently, and I agreed to make dessert. I decided to make this coconut flour cake recipe and to jazz it up, I thought I’d make some frosting. I knew I wanted the base to be from palm shortening and also wanted lemon involved (to add a springy flavor). This recipe is what I came up with and I am so pleased with how it turned out. It is light and lemony, with a silky whipped texture. It almost seems like a cross between frosting and icing, especially with its slightly shimmery appearance. It tasted great on the coconut flour cake (this cake recipe is amazing and super moist) and was a HUGE crowd pleaser!
Also, this recipe makes quite a bit of frosting and is enough for a double layer cake. I actually ended up making two of the coconut flour cakes, so I could turn it into a double layer and use up the rest of the frosting. I garnished the top with grated lemon zest and definitely recommend doing so for a finishing touch.
The frosting doesn’t have to be stored in the refrigerator, but will keep longer that way if you aren’t going to use it right away or have leftovers. It will firm up quite a bit in the fridge because of the coconut cream concentrate (coconut butter), so remember to allow it to soften at room temperature before using. You may also want to refrigerate it in the summertime because it will get slightly melty when warm.
Please make sure to only use pure therapeutic essential oils for cooking. Many essential oils that are sold in stores are not 100% pure and can be chemically adulterated. These are not meant for consumption! My essential oil of choice is Young Living. Learn where to get high quality essential oils HERE.
Whipped Dairy-Free Lemon Frosting
- 3/4 cup organic palm shortening (find here) –>not to be mistaken for red palm oil!
- 7 oz. box coconut cream concentrate, melted (find here)
- 3-4 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 drops lemon essential oil (learn where to get therapeutic grade oils here)
- Add all the ingredients except the lemon essential oil to the the bowl of your stand mixer. Whip the frosting a couple minutes or until smooth. Alternatively, you can use a hand mixer.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula and then add the lemon essential oil. Whip again briefly to incorporate the essential oil.
- Enjoy on your favorite grain-free cake or cookie recipe for a special occasion!