It had been a long time since I ate cucumbers this way and the taste definitely took me back to childhood a bit. Cucumbers in vinegar was a summertime side dish that I loved as a kid, and still enjoy today. My mom often made it to go with grilled meat and it was something we ate a lot of out at our cottage or at family cookouts. Sometimes, she would make creamed cucumbers instead, but I never liked those…or at least thought I didn’t. I don’t think I ever actually tried them though because I didn’t like how they looked. Typical kid thing to do and something I did a lot when I was young!
This is a slightly different take on the traditional cucumbers in vinegar, but still just as tasty. The bright red paprika adds a nice pop of color too. You can also use hot paprika instead of sweet paprika for a spicy twist or just add a pinch of cayenne if you like.
Paprika Cucumbers in Vinegar
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled
- 1 tsp sea salt, plus extra for salting cucumbers
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (I like this brand with the mother culture)
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika, plus extra for serving
- 1/2 – 1 tsp raw honey
- Thinly slice cucumbers with a mandoline slicer or knife. I actually used the mandoline/slicing attachment blade on my food processor (I have this food processor).
- Place cucumber slices in a strainer and generously sprinkle with sea salt. Place strainer over a bowl and drain for 45 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 tsp sea salt, the apple cider vinegar, black pepper, paprika and raw honey. Add cucumbers after draining and mix well to coat.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Use a slotted spoon or fork for serving and sprinkle with extra paprika.