Summer is nearly here, though the weather has been pretty nice in Portland for quite some time now. We finally cleaned our little grill and got it in tiptop shape for summer. Since then, we’ve been grilling burgers regularly and love eating this classic summertime coleslaw alongside. I’ve actually made it twice in less than one week (it makes a big bowl too).
We mainly like eating this slaw with burger patties, but it’s awesome with chicken too. I even ate it with eggs and sausage the other day! It seriously tastes great with nearly everything and I’m a big fan!
Be sure to taste the dressing as you go and adjust the flavors to your liking. The coleslaw tastes even better the next day and the flavors are much more abundant. Also, I recommend making the homemade mayo with avocado oil for this salad, as the flavor is a little more neutral (though the macadamia nut oil version in my recipe link is awesome).
Classic Summertime Coleslaw
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 2/3 cup homemade mayo or Primal Kitchen Mayo
- 2 – 2.5 Tbsp white wine vinegar (apple cider vinegar works too)
- 1-2 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 – 1.5 tsp dried mustard or 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp celery salt
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Place cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. In a separate medium-sized bowl, mix together the mayo, vinegar, raw honey, mustard powder, celery salt, sea salt and pepper. Taste and adjust flavors as desired.
- Pour dressing over cabbage and carrots, and mix well to coat.
- Place in fridge to chill for at least an hour, but longer if possible. Taste and add more sea salt and/or black pepper, if needed.