Summer is nearly here, though the weather has been pretty nice in Portland for quite some time now. We finally cleaned our little grill and got it in tiptop shape for summer. Since then, we’ve been making burgers regularly and love eating this coleslaw alongside. I’ve actually made it twice in less than one week (it makes a big bowl too). We’ve eaten it mainly with burger patties, but with chicken too, and I even ate it with eggs and sausage the other day. It seriously tastes good with nearly everything! I’m a big fan of it.
Be sure to taste the dressing as you go and adjust the flavors to your liking. The coleslaw tastes even better the next day and the flavors are more abundant. Also, I recommend making the homemade mayo with avocado oil for this salad, as the flavor is a little more neutral (though the macadamia nut oil version in my recipe link is awesome).
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 2/3 cup homemade mayo or Primal Kitchen Mayo
- 2.5 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1-2 Tbsp raw honey
- 1.5 tsp dried mustard or 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp + 1/4 tsp celery salt
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Place cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. In a separate medium-sized bowl, mix together the mayo, vinegar, raw honey, mustard powder, celery salt, sea salt and pepper. Taste and adjust flavors as desired.
- Pour dressing over cabbage and carrots, and mix well to coat.
- Place in fridge to chill for at least an hour, but longer if possible. Taste and add more sea salt and/or black pepper, if needed.