I enjoyed eating this dip with veggie slices, plantain chips, and mixed into a taco bowl too (ground meat of choice with taco spices, veggies of choice, and this dip mixed in). There is no dairy in the dip, but the creamy aspect comes from pureed white sweet potato, olive oil, and avocado. It’s wonderful served warm, room temperature or cold. This recipe yields a lot too!
Cheers and enjoy!
Dairy-Free Creamy Mexican Dip
- 1 medium-large white sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 large avocado, sliced into quarters
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 14 oz container fresh salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- Pinch of cayenne, optional
- Cook sweet potato cubes in a steamer basket over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add the cooked sweet potato to a food processor with the garlic, avocado, lime juice, olive oil, sea salt and black pepper. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides with a spatula as needed.
- Next, add the salsa and cilantro, and pulse several times to incorporate it into the sweet potato mixture. Taste and add pinch of cayenne (or more) if you want it a bit spicier.
- Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold with sliced veggies, plantain chips, grain-free tortillas (this variation is also gum-free), or grain-free tortilla chips. It also makes for a tasty topping on tacos, salads, etc.