This chicken sweet potato noodle bowl is simple good and makes for an incredibly quick, healthy and easy meal. And, all in one dish too.
This dish also features homemade vegetable bouillon powder and will leave you with leftovers to store in your pantry (so you can easily make this recipe again). The homemade bouillon came about because I wanted a concentrated broth flavor, but didn’t want to add a ton of liquid. In my quest, I realized that there are no high-quality bouillon cubes/powder out there (at least not that I’ve seen), so plan B was to make my own. It is incredibly easy to make too.
In a sense, this recipe kinda reminds me of ramen noodles, mainly because of adding the concentrated seasoning to a bowl of “noodles.” I definitely ate my fair share of those back in the day, but really…who didn’t? They were super salty (and MSG-laden), brothy, quick, cheap, and yielded a huge bowl of noodles. I guess you could say this recipe is ramen noodles, but with a 360-degree, health-ifed turn!
Cheers and enjoy!
Chicken Sweet Potato Noodle Bowl
For the vegetable bouillon powder:
- 1/2 cup large flake nutritional yeast (I like this brand)
- 1 Tbsp dried minced onion
- 1/2 Tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- Black pepper, to taste
Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Pulse until mixture turns into a fine powder. Store in an airtight container. You may have to experiment with ratios, depending on your taste, but I recommend 1-3 tsp to 1 cup boiling water to turn this into broth. Great to use as a powder for flavor too, as seen in the recipe below.
For the noodle bowl:
- 1 Tbsp grass-fed butter or ghee
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, spiralized into noodles (or buy a package of pre-noodled sweet potato)
- 2 leftover boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed or shredded
- 1 Tbsp homemade vegetable bouillon powder (see recipe above)
- Generous splash of water (about 3-4 Tbsp worth)
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Melt butter or ghee in a large pan over medium heat. Once melted, add the sweet potato noodles and chicken. Sauté a few minutes.
- Next, add the homemade bouillon powder and a splash of water. Mix well to coat and sauté over medium-low a few more minutes. Add a little bit more water, if needed. Taste and season with a bit of sea salt and black pepper, if needed.
- Divide into bowls and garnish with green onions.
Yields: 2 servings